DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on my 05 Bee when i go over a dip or a bump the front end feels like it jumped 6-12 inches in the opposite way I'm turning. This can't be normal to have to catch the front end when it does this, are any of you RAM owners experiencing this same problem? I've read through multiple sites, and have seen several other people mentioning the same problem. I'd like to know what is causing it, if it's normal, and what can be done to fix it, without dumping a TON of cash into a suspension upgrade. Personally I feel it's a HUGE safety issue that needs to be address by DC. It's only a matter of time before my truck skips over right into a Curb because of this.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
My truck did the same thing until I got new shocks when Slammed1 put my drop on this last weekend. It made a world of difference in how it handles choppy pavement.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But did the shocks fix it, or the drop?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Mine does that as well.
I need to start looking for some aftermarket shocks.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
The shocks are what made the difference because it still has the stock springs. I got a flip in the rear and cut coils in the front.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Its the shocks. A spring is a spring and does what a spring does. It compresses rebounds compresses rebounds and so on. One of a shocks jobs is to control or damper the rebounding of the spring. The energy is displaced into the fluid of the shock and also as heat from the spring and into the fluid of the shock, so you get less rebound. A better shock does a better job of controlling rebound, which is the problem you have.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx spharis. Awsome breakdown! Now, do you think the stock ones are bogus since it's causing this problem? I think its crazy that I should have to replace 4 month old shocks to solve this problem....

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes you are right, it is crazy to replace shocks after only a few months. i stuck it out through 7 months hoping someone or a solution could be found. i could no longer stand it so i went with bilstein's on all four. i think you will also find many other members on this site replaced theirs shocks in a short period of time as well.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
I would for a better ride/control anyway, or just lower it while youre at it...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Its the shocks. I was on vacation last year and almost went into the concrete center divider driving down the highway when the road got rough and there was construction going on.

Being a motocross racer for 16 years and dealing with suspension, I actually think its the compression of the shock that is too stifff that makes the truck deflect off of bumps. The truck doesnt absorb even the smallest square edge bump. There is no plushness what so ever. I will be putting on some Edelbrock IAS shocks very soon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ltolen, did you do shocks, and then do your drop later? Did the shocks themselves help the wheel hop, is what I'm curious to know. Thanx for the help guys, this thread will help so many others.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Viper: As nice as drppoed looks on some riodes, it just ain't practical up here. + I have 4X4, and well, I just prefer stock height, maybe leveled rear. If it wasn't the RUmble Bee, I'd be liftin er' up!

·
Registered
111 Posts
ttop, when i got the shocks my truck was already dropped. after the drop the truck continued to do the 'Ram shuffle'. with no other solution in sight, shocks had to be the answer, now she rolls a lot better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find the same thing happening when I hit a bump while turning, especially when turning to the left. I wonder if the shocks are just too stiff for the front end weight? I've adjusted tire pressure from up/down 5 psi but found not differance. My only solution is to slow way down, which isn't always safe on some busier roadways. Has anyone done a NTSB complaint? My truck is an 03 shortbed 4x4 with 4.7, stock everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rearend throw-outs over any bump

Hi;
First I want to say that this is a problem not just on 4x4's but we two wheel drive owners have the same problem. I would have to say that its caused from the weight distribution of the vehicle which at factory height is not that bad. I just lowered my 2005 quad cab from a kit I got from DJM Suspension and it was the biggest mistake I made, now that its lowered it just doesn't shift over it feels like my rearend gets thrown around with force and it can scare the shit of you. NaS

:gr_patrio

·
Banned
524 Posts
same problem here....next question would be, bilstein or rancho?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard nothing but good things about the Blisteins....

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
TToP said:
I've heard nothing but good things about the Blisteins....
TToP,

The Bilsteins will get rid of bump/skip stuff. I'm able to hit a bump on
a turn now at good speed and the truck sticks to the ground.

You'll have better control. You can feel the ride. I like that feeling
compared to the chushy/bouncey ride I experienced before. :)

Sil

·
Banned
524 Posts
I hear the rancho 5000's are stiff as a board..and the 9k's are like the bilsteins......I think there was a group buy for the bilsteins from shox.com....it was like 240 shipped for all 4 bilstein shocks...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to know guys, thanx! That's a good deal!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.