DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my wife's 04QC 1500 4x4 Hemi. It's developed a groan from the front end area that increases with road speed. She's been driving it like this forever and I just noticed it as I don't ride in it very often at all. I drove it and was able to narrow it down to something in the steering/front driveline. The truck tracks pretty straight, maybe pulls just a touch right. Now I can make the noise go away when giving a bit of left steering input. It's like something is binding up in the front end on the right side maybe that when turning left relieves it and the noise subsides. Any ideas? I'm not too familiar with 4x4 setups, but am pretty familiar with everything else mechanical.

We had a problem with the rack/pinion a few years ago and had to have it replaced. That's been quite a while ago. Think it may be related? I thought I'd ask you guys here before I go blindly to a shop and have them look at it. I haven't had time yet to jack it up and snoop around to see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like wheel bearing failure. Jack it up and see if theres any play when rocking the tire. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 to test. Make sure you use a jack stand too. You'd be rather dissapointed with only a thumb on your right hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I've been thinking, but wasn't sure if a wheel bearing would get quiet when the wheel was turned/pressure taken off of it.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
These new unit bearing are a whole different animal when it comes to going bad. Some click, some squeal & some groan !!! (That just don't sound right, LOL :D) Nothing like the old style wheel bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.