DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for the lube points on the front drive shaft for the 2500/3500 4x4 models. I know that it free wheels even when the truck is not engaged in 4wd. I have looked at the drive shaft and cannot seem to find any zert fittings. But yet there is a sticker that states, "Caution be sure to lube front drive shaft at every oil change". Not exactly in those words but close enough. Well if any of you know where the lube point is, I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. On the sticker thats located on the driverside near the fan shroud it shows a picture of where the transfer case and the front drive shaft meet. I am very confused. I even took it to the dealership and they could not find anything. The tech told me that some models have lube points there and some don't. Then if I dont have any zert fittings or lube points, why do I have that "Caution" sticker? Thanks alot for any advice in advance....

Carlos

Attachments

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Last I checked there were only two zerks on my 2500. Tie rod ends. If I ever replace the ujoints I'll get some with zerks on em. It doesn't sound right, that our trucks have only a couple places for grease. I guess they want us to spend our cash on repairs at the stealerships.

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
I killed the factoty u joints pretty fast. I replaced every one of them with zerted units that are a bit thicker as well. I grease them and the sway bar posts once a month or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The front driveshaft on my 05 2500 uses the cup type grease fitting and it is well hidden in the center of the CV joint assembly. The U joints themselves are not greaseable just the center pivot of the CV joint. I will post a picture of the grease cup as soon as the upload photo option returns.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ce2flaco said:
I killed the factoty u joints pretty fast. I replaced every one of them with zerted units that are a bit thicker as well. I grease them and the sway bar posts once a month or so.
Where did you get those at? We've got different driveshafts, but I'm pretty sure our U joints are the same for the rear.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
yea, id like to see pics of that cup fitting youre speaking of.

I think its good that the joints dont have zerk fittings... a sealed unit is far stronger than a joint that has passages for grease to flow.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Here is the picture of the front driveshaft showing the grease cup. By looking at the sticker under your hood and the really small writing in my picture you should be able to find the grease cup. I put the front end up on jack stands so I could lay under the truck and slowly hand rotate the driveshaft until I found the fitting. This grease point is only for the center pivot between the two u-joints. You will need a needle nozzle tip for your grease gun to grease this joint. Do not get the injection needle tip as it won't work right with the cup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks very much for the pics--they were done very well, next oil change,
5k, I'll grease this little sucker, already have the nozzle

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Why isn't the service etchs doing this at every oil change services or Transfer case and differential oil changes? Or are they?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, I love the knowledge people share in this forum, Just bought mine and will use this advice to heart.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Eh Howzit MadHawaiian,

Another local bruddah! \000/ Mauiboy hea!

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
Leviathan said:

Here is the picture of the front driveshaft showing the grease cup. By looking at the sticker under your hood and the really small writing in my picture you should be able to find the grease cup. I put the front end up on jack stands so I could lay under the truck and slowly hand rotate the driveshaft until I found the fitting. This grease point is only for the center pivot between the two u-joints. You will need a needle nozzle tip for your grease gun to grease this joint. Do not get the injection needle tip as it won't work right with the cup. Hope this helps.
It's a sphere with three curved plates that pivot on it. A really sweet set up. When i picked mine up after it was built i was amazed at how far it would twist without binding. Mine has a needle fitting though, but it's custom.

2-Stroke
I see your logic but at the same time if you loose grease through the bushing in a sealed u joint there is nothing you can do about it but wait for it to fail or replace it. In a zerted unit you can prolong the life of a joint for quite a while with preventive maintenance. Plus the zerted units i installed are a bit thicker than the factory units.

Senglehart
I got my u joints at Phoenix Rack and Axle, however a call to your local off road shop to ask who they use to build their drive shafts will surely get you a local shop that can hook you up.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally found it with the help of the people in this forum. You have both a universal joint and what I call a constant velocity U-joint, which is like a double U-joint located a several inches behind the single U-joint. Look on the front side of that CV joint on the vertical surface and you will see a 1/4" diameter fitting which is concave in the center. You may have to drive the vehicle a few inches at a time until you see the fitting and get it in the right position. That is the fitting. It has a ball check valve just inside that concave area. Clean it (air hose, rag, etc.) and then use a needle (point) type grease gun adapter to lube it. This is the type that is about 3/16 inch diameter tube pointed at the end. An auto parts store should have one. The end seals inside that concave area (you have to hold it firmly into that fitting). The other end has a zert and your grease gun attaches there. I don't know what would have been wrong with a normal zert- I guess Dodge feels we need a challenge once in awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.