DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have managed to blow my front door speakers again...

I know nothing about car audio and but am trying to learn a little bit of the basics. I have never been too interested in audio...it just isnt my thing.

This is what im looking for

I want "good" sounding front door speakers

I want them to be able to run off the stock HU

I want them to be good enough to where i can expand on the speakers

Easy install

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered Confuser
6,359 Posts
check out craigslist mane, you can get some good deals there. I got my JLs for 40 bucks and they sounded great on the stock HU. But other than that, anything aftermarket will sound better.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered Confuser
6,359 Posts
probably not bad for $70. You can go to best buy or any other audio shop and easily listen to all the bigger brands like alpine, rockford, pioneer, kicker etc and find which ones you like best. All the upper name brands like JL, rainbow, focal, etc will be harder to find in person, but those are probably out of your interest if youre not wanting to spend the big bucks an go all out.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Give these a look, I have NEVER had an issue with Rockford Fosgate speakers....they tend to be fairly inexpensive but the sound quality is amazing, I will stand by their products 100%, never use anything else.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7257_Rockford+Fosgate+Punch+P1692C.html

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that someone had already posted RF's, I guess it's a matter of if you want 4-way or 2-way speakers.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
blown both of mine too! POS if you ask me, the truck only has 5K miles on it, and both are blown.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought a 2002 qc with the infinity last month and both front speakers were blown.I could not afford alot of money right away cause of taxes,wife,tags,wife,title...wife ha ha.Anyway,I found some Pioneer coaxial four way 300 watt max for 60.00...Its deffinatly not what I would normally buy.But,with all the other speakers,they sound good.I watch craiglist around here too and there are some good deals.It sounds like a good deal the other member just posted.You music guys...did I get taken on my 60.00 speakers?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats the difference in 2 and 4 way and will those speakers i picked out in post 4 work with the stock HU for a while? Can they be expanded upon?

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Just remember; when you change out the speakers, you need to pull the spacer off the back of the old units and put them on the new speakers. If you forget, the newer speakers won't fit in the door.

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just remember; when you change out the speakers, you need to pull the spacer off the back of the old units and put them on the new speakers. If you forget, the newer speakers won't fit in the door.

:)
x2 on that. Didnt figure that out till I was on the second door. lol

Also.....check the windows to make sure the wires dont make contact with the window or roll down gear thingy. You have to tape or zip tie the wires close to the speaker. Otherwise when you roll down your window you will hear the wires brushing on the window and Its ANNOYING. Plus that gear that holds the place of the window got caught-up on one wire and started to short it out as the window would roll down. So beware. Dont fry your new speakers and only do the shit once. Im a pro at taking my panels off now! You can check by rolling the window down and looking down into the door. You should be able to see how close it is after install. good luck!

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts
I didnt have any spacers on the back of my OEMs. Then again (I have the Infiinty system) I didnt have 6 1/2s in the rear doors like others say they have. I had to make some 6 1/2" spacers out of MDF so I could put my Kicker 6 1/2s back there.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
4 way coaxial speakers are a marketing gimick trying to take advantage of people thinking bigger numbers are better. There are some arguments for a 3 way versus a 2 way, but the difference is very marginal. That said, if you aren't overly concerned with doing a big system then Rockford Fosgate is a well known and trusted brand. Just don't expect piano hall quality out of a $70 pair of speakers. Also, nearly any coaxial speaker in the sub $100 range will work fine off of head unit power, but don't expect them to crank loud. You need an amplifier to get strong sound out of just about anything in a car environment. A higher sensativity rating will generally mean it works better off of deck power, but since car audio companies play fast and loose with spec sheets it's hard to trust that number either.

Without an amp, the first place to suffer is usually the bass/midbass region at high volumes, so if you get them hooked up and aren't happy with the bass, just know an amp will probably help that out some.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks ceri all that info helped out. I do plan to expand into amps and a sub underneath the rear seat and new rear speakers and new headunit. but im just not that concerned with it right now. I wanna get my exterior and performance where i want it first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.