DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have seen a couple of Dakotas with a chrome capping on the top of the front bumper, running the full width, and along with the chrome grille, it looks nice. Does anyone know if this would be available as a separate piece from Dodge, and was it ever offered on the Durango? If not, would the Dakota piece not fit the Durango - same front end as far as I know?

If have been wanting to add some chrome accents / pieces (door handles, gas filler door, side mirrors), to go along with the chrome grille, which I like, but with it being the only chrome on the vehicle, looks a little lonely.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Yes, it fits... Here's one for purchase right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7973736249&category=33640&sspagename=WDVW

Item number 7973736249 on ebay if that link doesn't work for you. They fit both the Durango and Dakotas.

It has never been offered by Dodge for the Durango, it was a Dakota only piece from the factory. However, the parts are the same and will fit both applications.

I've been considering doing this myself.

(edit: found one with a better price and updated the link and item number above... plus they're local to me)

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Wait, I just noticed that you have a 2003 Durango. From what I understand, starting with the 2002 models, DC changed the design slightly on the Durangos and Dakotas, making them a one piece design. I know for a fact that these work on 1998-2000 Durangos (and I believe 2001), however someone with a 2002-2003 might want to chime in here and confirm if there is a difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'coach', that is a complete bumper isn't it? What I had seen was chrome on the top of the plastic bumper cover. Now both times I saw it, it was passing by, and so far I have not been able to see this up close. I'm going to jump to the Dakota forum and search to see if I can find any threads that might help this along.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.K. I found this picture out of the Dakota Gallery, and this is a 2003.

Is anyone familiar with this front end, and know if the chrome part of the bumper is separate, and will fit the Durango?

Attachments

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
It's just the top itself. I know that bigblue here has the whole front chromed, but I think that was a custom job. I believe I may head to London, KY tomorrow and pick it up and install it over the weekend. They have 15 of them in stock.

Here's a pic.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
coachholland said:
It's just the top itself. I know that bigblue here has the whole front chromed, but I think that was a custom job. I believe I may head to London, KY tomorrow and pick it up and install it over the weekend. They have 15 of them in stock.

Here's a pic.

how much are they going for? bleu has one. I don't remember where he picked it up from ,but you can order a whole assy

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
I just want the top part, not the whole front with the lower chrome valance. I think that would be a bit much on my D. I think the chrome top with the chrome shell ought to be pretty nice accents. I have seen the whole assemblies on ebay for around $150, but the valance isn't chrome. I think bleu had his custom dipped.

The ebay seller I listed has them for about $80, plus $40 shipping. About $15-20 less than other sellers and $20-40 cheaper on shipping.

But since they're close to me, I'll be picking it up and won't have to pay the $40 shipping. So, I'll only be paying around $85 for the whole thing, including tax since we have a 6% sales tax here. :rck:

I spoke to them today and they sound like a great company to buy from.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at my front bumper cover last night, and it is all one piece, there is no separation between top and bottom, like you guys have. They must have changed it, maybe for '03 only? Anyway, the picture I posted above, which I found in the Dakota Gallery forum, is an '03 according to the description accompanying it. I imagine it is unique to the Dakotas only, but don't know if it is a capping that can be ordered separately, and installed on a Durango. The front ends are the same aren't they?

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
I'm not really certain how the bumpers mount on to the front of the 2003 D's, but you can take a look and see if it matches this.

First, there are two nuts on the far end corners (a total of four counting both sides). Then you have two bolts on each side close to the radiator (again a total of four). Those are all removed at a 90 degree angle. Finally, there are two more bolts that can only be reached from the bottom, removal of the nuts at a 180 degree angle and upwards... once again a total of four counting both sides.

I haven't taken my bumper completely off yet... I have a bit of a rain intermission here at the moment, but it looks like the lower valance is simply held on to the upper. I don't see it mounting into the frame anywhere. So, if you're D has a similar setup as far as the way it is mounted, it *may* work, but obviously you'll have to purchase both the bumper and valance and do a conversion since the 2003 has a one piece design.

It's almost dried up outside, so once I have the bumper off, I'll take some pics and show the mounting locations if possible. Where these things are placed, I don't know if I'll be able to get shots where you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Okay, here are the pics... First one shows the big bolts you have to take off and to each side of that bracket are two smaller ones (14mm). You can take the large bolts off with your factory wheel breaker.

The second picture shows the area that pic 1 showed, except from down below. Probably a good thing I'm changing this bumper out because it looks like it has developed some rust I hadn't noticed before.

The third pic shows the location of the far end nuts I was talking about. Those are already taken off in the pic.

Be sure to take the negative terminal off your battery because I think the airbag stuff is around here somewhere and you don't want to trigger that. Additionally, disconnect your fog lamps. They are attached to the bumper I believe.

Off to finish the project. This is going quicker than I thought it would.

Attachments

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Jay, my gallery's got pics of the bumper, valence and fog brackets. My D didn't make use of the end bolt attachments, but they're not in the way either.

Rock, that's one of my fav shots. The lighting makes it 'deep'. I'd just finished waxing it.
OT, they spared LI's Westhampton 106th Air National Guard, the news says they pump 100 mil into the economy and they only pay $1 in rent!

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Bleu, how did you get your bumper completely off? I just removed the clear corners and looks like I still need some upwards clearance. Do I have to remove the headlight assembly as well?

I'm screwed if I don't get this thing on in the next hour. It's will be dark and it's going to be storming all day tomorrow.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Figured it out. You have to remove the bracket on the ends with the star bolts holding it on. There are two, but only one is needed to be taken off so that the bumper will slide off.

More pics to come on this project.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Final pics and instructions on how to change these out. Notice the bracket in pic three in the post I made above. *One* of those needs to be removed so that the replacement bumper can be slid in beside it. Put the bracket back on after sliding the bumper into position.

On D's with the two piece bumper design, you'll need to remove the fog lights and 10mm bolts show in the pic below. And the final pic is the finished product.

Once again, I'm going to *HIGHLY* recommend Martin's Auto off of ebay for these. I had a issue with the bumper I got from them and they were going to immediately ship me out another and pay for return shipping on the defective one. Instead, I told them I would rather drive down and pick it up instead of waiting a couple of days for it to get here. I went and picked it up and they actually gave me gas money for my trip over there. :) They are a class operation and an awesome company to work with. Cheap prices and excellent service don't usually go together, but these guys have it covered.

You can reach them on the web at http://truckefx.com but be sure to check out their ebay store and ebay auctions for the best prices.

Attachments

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
I like that pic too bleu

coach nice job. looks great

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Thanks rock, the pic doesn't do it justice, but this one shows it off a bit better.

Attachments

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Looks great! You'll have to work on that tranny fluid leak next.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
LOL, I knew I should have remembered to put the cover back on after I changed the filter. :thatfunny

Surprised that was all the water left on the driveway after as much as it rained yesterday. I was wondering if I would be taking the boat to work for the rest of the week instead of the D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.