DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that the red stuff is just from a failed axle bearing, or is it part of the cv shaft? Both sides are like it. Just wondering what parts I'd need to order from the dealer, cheers!

Attachments

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
That is odd that it is red - not sure what that is unless the diff oil is that color. The power steering uses red fluid, and the hoses are known to leak, but I would think that would only be one side ...

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
That's looks like it's from the CV joint; not the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I had to guess I would say that its rust. grab your cv shaft and wiggle it, the stub shaft coming out of the diff is probably worn down and the red is filings/rust that is floating around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shaft is loose where it comes out of the diff for sure, not lots, but it's there. I'm assuming there is just an axle bearing in there behind the seal. I want to order up the parts required for when I install the Fabtech lift. Good time to do it while installing the gears...thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you doing the front gears yourself? Just curious cause I'm about done with my rear gears and need to start on the front.

I dont' have the required case spreader so it may be fabrication time for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure. I was going to see what the dealer would charge if I just dropped off the front 'axle' to them. I was also going to see if I could get someone to do it under the table. We have quite a few specialty tools at work, or I might have to modify or fab a couple up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.