DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1015 Posts

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 318Cid V8 has been faithfully powering Chrysler vehicles, a total of 45 years...longer than any other production engine in automotive history. :cool:

This engine is truly a wonder: it is rock solid and is the easiest engine to make extra power out of. :rck:

Although many would rather have a 360 Magnum V8, a 345 Hemi Magnum, or a 340 LA V8...there are many who know that although the 318 has its limitations compared to larger engines: a 318 is their choice engine. :D


That is for myself, and it is safe to say that I am a 318 enthusiast. :gr_patrio

How many people are bold enough to stand up and proclaim that they are a DodgeTalk.com 318 enthusiast? :)



RULES:

A) Post in this thread to be signed into the Club (this is just for fun like the "Ugly Toolbox owners Association" or the "Coin Holders Association".

B) Put: *DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(your number given by myself after your logging in to this thread)* in your Sig.


Sig insert looks like below (the number is also red):

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #( )*
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
Sadly, the 318's are now out of production and have been for several years.

I'm a big fan of the 318. I had one in my '93 Dakota, and not only did that truck haul a$$, but that little 318 kept going all the way past 180,000 miles. Not too shabby I must say!
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to say that you guys and gals don't need to own a 318, just be an admirerer of the little V8.

So, do you wanna be member #1 FreeLantz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
my '01 ram has made a 318 believer out of me. 108k miles and she'll still spin the 31" bfg mud terrains with ease. this being the first vehicle i ever owned, it's been put through the paces and has never once let me down or failed to impress. every time someone starts talking about the "good old 350," i chime in with a good old 318 story. not the biggest block around, but a tried and true workhorse.
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
So you're including the Poly 318 then? Cool.
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dodgevanman said:
So you're including the Poly 318 then? Cool.
Gotta love the Polyspehrical 318! It's the closest thing the little workhorse got to Hemi in its entire production life. :gr_patrio

So, Dodgevanman...you wanna be member number three? :)
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about you, smoke'm? Do you wanna be member number two?

Remember to put the little one-liner in your sig guys if you agree to being a member. The first one to post that they want in will be given the #1 spot!

So state you wanna be in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,130 Posts
I have a 318 and like it.
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mitchgmace said:
I have a 318 and like it.
So, do you wanna be in the little club. Nothing required, just your love for the 318.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
my pops has a 318 in his '99 SLT Ram and loves it...of course i modded it for him w/ a K&N FIPK.....great truck!!

Can i be member #1???!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,130 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
So, do you wanna be in the little club. Nothing required, just your love for the 318.
Sure I don't plan on getting rid of my old dodge anytime soon.
 

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
Joined
·
6,704 Posts
i got a beast of a 318 and love it. what member number am i? 2,3,thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
I think the 318 is the best overall engine design of its era.
If you examine the tech details of the 'Magnum Style' redesign of the Mopar smallblocks it is obvious that they are matched to the 318 size and the 360 is a 'add-on'.

Since the Magnum-RT-Edelbrock cylinder head is the same now and has the same potential airflow, I think that you can make a scientific argument that a 318 can always make the same horsepower as a 340/360/408 but it will just make it at a higher rpm.

It is a shame that a 318 was not made in aluminum with Nikasil liners, but there are rumors a few aluminum blocks were made for testing:



http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/engines.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,130 Posts
HankL said:
I think the 318 is the best overall engine design of its era.
If you examine the tech details of the 'Magnum Style' redesign of the Mopar smallblocks it is obvious that they are matched to the 318 size and the 360 is a 'add-on'.

Since the Magnum-RT-Edelbrock cylinder head is the same now and has the same potential airflow, I think that you can make a scientific argument that a 318 can always make the same horsepower as a 340/360/408 but it will just make it at a higher rpm.

It is a shame that a 318 was not made in aluminum with Nikasil liners, but there are rumors a few aluminum blocks were made for testing:



http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/engines.htm
I agree, also if it was a tad lighter block it would be right up there. There are some weight issues to get it to rev. that other don't have.
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool guys! Glad to see people who are interested in the mighty 318, even those who don't wanna be in the "club". ;)

All you guys need to do is to put this one-liner in your sig up at the top, that's all! :)

Hemi Pete said:
Sig insert looks like below (the number is also red):

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #( )*
Then we can chat about the 318...and maybe fantasize about what can be done to the little motor. :rck:

biged6464, congrats! You're member number one! :cool:

mitchgmace, you're member number two. :)

cmh2007, you are member number three. :SPIN:

Even though this "club" really isn't much of anything, I thought it would be great to see how many showed interest for the 5.2L. :D

Thanks again guys. :gr_patrio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
Thanks man!! I'm a huge fan and have plans in the very near future of adding headers and a true dual setup on the '99..unless you would have a better exhaust idea??
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
Mopar Muscle or Mopar Action (can't remember which) did a build-up of an LA318 and were able to get around 435HP and I don't think they even bored the block!
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dodgevanman said:
Mopar Muscle or Mopar Action (can't remember which) did a build-up of an LA318 and were able to get around 435HP and I don't think they even bored the block!
Even though I threw away the magazine, Mopar Muscle did the deed...however they bored the 318 to 327.

I'd like to see a true 318 get a mod-jobber.
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
biged6464 said:
Thanks man!! I'm a huge fan and have plans in the very near future of adding headers and a true dual setup on the '99..unless you would have a better exhaust idea??
Hey "Number One" (and the other two members), get that one-liner in your sig...right at the top so you can display you're an enthusiast. :gr_patrio

Remember to make the number red also:

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #( )*
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
biged6464 said:
Thanks man!! I'm a huge fan and have plans in the very near future of adding headers and a true dual setup on the '99..unless you would have a better exhaust idea??
As for the exhaust idea, I think that is really good. :)

In fact, that's what I'm gonna do whenever I get a 318 Magnum V8 powered Ram. :cool:

However money doesn't grow on trees! :thatfunny
 
1 - 20 of 1015 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top