DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 331 Posts

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
What I'd really like to do is find a 1st gen dakota with a 318 and 5 speed. If I went in on it with a friend or two, it wouldn't cost much and you can make those things move a lot easier than my [email protected] durango LOL.

oo poiuyt

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
DodgeEnthusiast said:
Oh, I guess I just assumed that it was less than that because that's where the redline is on the tach. The link is the 390 stroker kit at hughes engines. I think this kit looks better though:

http://speedomotive.com/pc-138-5-mopar-318cid-to-390cid-forged-piston-stroker-kit.aspx
Oh and about the redline at the tach, I'm sure you know that the actual engine redline is above 6K, but where it's shown on the dash varies by model and year. For example, the redline is shown at 4800 on our Dakotas and Durangos. On the full size Rams it's shown at 5K. On 2000 3.9s and 5.9s it's like the pic below only the redline is shown lower. The pic below is of a 4.7.

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
That's kind of weird. What is the yellow part of the tach supposed to represent?

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
It's funny that they would move the redline around like that. It's just another one of those DC things that make you go "why?" I think on my dad's '97 ram the redline is like the one in the photo, but his has a 5.9 so it's not as good of a comparison.

Anywho right now I'm off to go car shopping...not replacing the D, just looking around for one of those $100 cars to beat the crap out of. :D ttyl nova.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I know they used a lot of shared parts between the 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 since they are all based off of the 318. They all have similar redlines.

Good luck with the car search.

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
Well we found one haha. It's an international (I thought all they made was tractors) with meats and a winch. It looks like crap but its a standard transmission and they probably don't want too much money for it...we'll call them tomorrow.

We also found some kind of an old plymouth 4 door. I don't know what it was but it looked like an early '60s car, and it wasn't in too bad of shape. It kind of looked like a 4 door GTX...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sounds cool. It would be great if I could afford another beater car to build up. I've always wanted a Duster or the like to fix up and make fast. Maybe like a 80s foxbody mustang also. I'm going to check my exhaust tomorrow and see what shape the y-pipe and cat are in so I can justify replacing them. I can't imagine how this 318 will run with a 2.5" y-pipe, 3" hi-flow cat, and out through a 3" cutout!!!
Better yet how it will sound!

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
It would be great if I could afford another beater car to build up.
What are you talking about? You have that other awesome dakota that you stuffed a hemi in.:D

Really, getting a new y-pipe doesn't sound like a half-bad idea. It wouldn't cost an arm and a leg like headers do and it is probably the weakest link in the exhaust system after you put a better muffler in. With the setup you have planned out, it should definitely be loud enough for you. :rck:

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
I'll loan you some money...at a small interest rate and the circumstances that I get to test drive it when the work is done. :D

Edit: Actually I don't have much either...if anyone wants to donate towards a good cause, my number is 605-390...... :thatfunny

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
Well, let's get this one stickied then. I'll keep my link to the old thread in my signature in case anyone wants to refer back to it for information.

Edit: Why is it that we are the only two who are posting on this thread now? Come on people let's get some updates on those 318s...give us some pictures or just stop by and say hello. We can't be the only two chatting in this thread, "Hello David" "Why hello David how are you" "Not bad David and yourself?" :thatfunny

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Maybe that new exhaust will be coming sooner than planed. Today on the drive home I smelt exhaust fumes. Possible leak? Maybe, but if it is a leak than that means NEW EXHAUST!!! ;)

·
Work in progress...
3,271 Posts
Hey, there's your solution. And if there isn't a leak, just go under there with a hammer and have at it.:D

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
novaDAK said:
Yeah I think it should definately be loud enough, even with the cutout closed!
loud? yes, my 95 Dak I put headders and 3" to a 3" cat then to a 3" 40 flowmaster. YES it was loud! just make sure you put the muffler/cutout way back behind the cab or else you wont be able to hear the radio.

Sorry for not postin in here been busy (144 hours last pay period)

21 - 40 of 331 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.