Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

I just found this mod on the other forum and thought I'd pass it along. I just did it and it worked great.

You must have the dual zone climate control for this to work. The little sensor in the middle of the dashboard senses the sun for the climate control and the headlamps.

1) Disconnect battery.
2) Remove headlamp switch button (pulls off directly but it's tight, a small screwdriver may help to pry; use it about 180 degrees from white mark)
3) You'll find 2 stops on the right hand side of the depression the button sits in. One at about 2:00 and one at about 3:00, there is a slot above that runs through 12:00.
4) Stuff tissue or somesuch in the slot to protect the innards from scraped plastic. Now grind off the stop at 3:00. this will allow the button to turn a little but further counterclockwise than it currently does. I used a dremel tool and had zero problems grinding offthe stop.
5) Reinstall the button and confirm that it clicks all the way past "off" to the "auto" position which is not marked.
6) Follow the battery reconnect procedure and you're done.
7) Toss something on top of your sun sensor on the dashboard and watch your interior lights dim.

Special thanks to pushbutton on lxforums who first found and posted this mod!

·
Registered
290 Posts
battery disconnect

anything change with the car after you reconnected the battery?throttle response, etc.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If your just grinding off a plastic stop why disconnect the battery?If the sensor is already part of the covenience group II package it wouldn't be to reconfig the computer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't disconnect the battery at first and it didn't work, the computer must have been told I don't have that feature. After I disconnected the battery and all was well.

I figured it was easier to include it in the directions rather than say that it MAY not work if you don't do a battery diconnect procedure after install.

You MAY also have a bug in which turning the lights from ON to AUTO after stopping the car and removing the key MAY prevent the auto off feature from working as defined in your EVIC. This bug seems was reported by people who actually changed out the headlamp switch, not people who did the "dremel mod." I don't think that anyone who has done the battery reconnect procedure has seen this bug either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question. I had mine in auto when I reconnected the battery and it worked great. I am not sure if the ignoring of the auto position is a learned thing and you have a certain amount of time to cycle through "auto" after a reconnect or if it need to be in auto on reconnect. There are a few threads on the switch replacement mod over on lxowners, someone over there may have more info or better guesses as to why/how the battery reconnect procedure helps.

It's almost dark enough to go drive and still be out when the lightsautomagically come on! I think I'll go warm up the Magnum! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hemi31 said:
Glad my dealer couldn't figure out which part # to order.Gonna do it tommorow!
I was sure this would work months ago I just couldn't get the damn button off the shaft for fear of busting something.

If you want the part number for the switch WITH the A position it's a Chrysler part #4602348 AD

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hemi31 said:
Thanks Dantodd, let me know how it works.I will give it a shot the way you posted.
Just got back from a little trip "around the block" and it worked just like I expected. I had actually already puy my baseball cap over the sensor and tested that it went on correctly.

The delay etc. all worked as configured through the EVIC so I guess it is all good.

I am not sure if it will work with the wipers. I really didn't want to run the wipers dry. It's probably about 50/50 that the autolamps work off of the actual rain sensor which my car doesn't have so I'm not really expecting them to go on automatically when the wipers go on.

flht: it is a bear to get off but it is just press-fit there are no catches and no "one-way" latches.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Holy S*** it worked,how cool is this.It took all of 2 minutes,would have taken less but had to empty the back to get to the battery.Any body that wants autolamps,don't waste the money at the dealer,this is the way to go.I did not use a dremel,I just shaved the tab with a razor.I still can't believe it.How many other options can we get like this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
dantodd said:
flht: it is a bear to get off but it is just press-fit there are no catches and no "one-way" latches.
Once you know how it's a breeze :) I tried it last night and that little slot opposite the white marker on the knob is the whole trick to getting the knob off the shaft! Well...I guess I have an extra switch :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Easier way - Once you get the knob off, turn it over and cut the long edge off. I used tin clips. Takes 5 seconds and works great. Alot easier than possible messing up the switch assm and cheaper, too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
removing headlight knob

there's no way im getting this headlight knob off.i tried pulling with all my might, wiggling it. does the knob have to be in the on position?i hate to pry it ,dont wanna leave any gash's in the plastic.the knob just wont budge.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey Slappy,
Take a small long screwdriver and slip it under the knob 180 degrees from the white line and pry very gently.The knob will pop off.Then you can trim what needs to be trimmed.Good luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
And the best part is.....you don't need to remove the switch assembly from the dash!

·
Registered
290 Posts
headlight knob

i didnt give it a try yet. i'll let you know if i snapped the knob off or not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
auto headlight it worked!

i got the knob off,one little nudge with a screwdriver then right off it came.i grinded that peg off put the knob on put it on auto turned the car on covered the sensor and like magic the lights came on,didnt even disconnect the battery.as alway's" SWEET ".

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok guys I just went into the garage took a SMALL tipped flathead screwdriver and as you said popped the switch off with no problem. I turned the switch over and I took a mini hacksaw and cut off the little plastic tab and reinstalled. The switch would not turn past the off position. So I popped the switch off again and with the mini hacksaw cut off the black tab that is about 1/4 inch long on the bottom of the switch and reinstalled. IT WORKS!!! WOOHOO!! It took all of 10 minutes.

My only other hint to anyone doing this is this. Basically the backside of the switch should not have anything protruding from the lip. The only thing that should be longer than the lip is the female stem that mounts on the male stem on the console.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.