DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 79 short box stepside truck ripped to a thousand pieces. I've done all the body work and/or replaced all the bad stuff with good. Now I need to paint.
I am going to primer everything while it is in all these pieces but should I put it partially back together before I do the color/clear?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I sure like what you've done.
Do ya paint all the nuts and bolts before assembly to?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Yes, then use a wrench one size larger with a rag folded a couple of times to tighten it up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Just becareful when painting panels off the car. Put them in relation to each other so the texture is the same. If you do the hood, the hood should be laid flat, not standing up.. the doors, not flat.. standing up.. so when you put the doors on the truck next to the bed - the texture will match the bed...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I also mixed the gallon of base in one shot instead of mixing it a cup at a time. Also make sure you put the same amount of coats on each part.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's for the tips. I wouldn't have thought of some of them...

I need all the help I can get. :)

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Make sure you post pictures of your progresss. We love pictures :)

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Be sure to use a acid etch primer on all your bare steel before priming.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Very cool, keep us posted.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be sure to use a acid etch primer on all your bare steel before priming.
I sprayed the floors and under body with POR15. This I have sanded with #400. Should I spray acid etch over that too?

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
I sprayed the floors and under body with POR15. This I have sanded with #400. Should I spray acid etch over that too?
No its not nessasary. Just any other parts that havnt been POR15.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just becareful when painting panels off the car. Put them in relation to each other so the texture is the same. If you do the hood, the hood should be laid flat, not standing up.. the doors, not flat.. standing up.. so when you put the doors on the truck next to the bed - the texture will match the bed...

This is good advice, but it has another reason behind it. If you spray metallics or pearl metallics, they have a flop agent in them that aligns certain pigment moleculesn by gravity in the matrix. If you have the fenders laying down flat, the doors standing up, and the bed standing on one end, they may look all great laying around the shop. But once put together, it will look like you painted it four different shades.

Look around at some of the cars that noobs have sprayed with "chameleon" colors like DuPont's Aubergine. some of those were sprayed apart, and they were not put on stands in the proper "on car orientation" The results were that every body panel that was painted in an odd position, reflected sun differently, and as such, different panels transitioned colors that did not match the adjacent panel. Looks horrible. I've seen a few ricers around here like that. One panel is turning from say, red to blue as you stand with the sun angled down the side, but the door next to it is doing something opposite.

This is more reason to orient the parts as they set on the car more than just the finish. That can be corrected with a cut and buff anyway. The gravity alignment of the pigment molecules can't be changed once the paint "cures" or, the solvents have evaporated, the orientation is set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.