DodgeTalk Forum banner

Frame Broke both sides on my 03 1500

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Welderr 
#1 ·
My beloved 03 Ram 1500 4x4 is heading to the boneyard I'm afraid, the frame broke on both sides , it looks like corrosion on the inside is the culprit. It has around 199,200 miles on it , I was really hoping to hit 200,000 soon it runs like a top the a/c blows cold and it starts right up best truck I've ever had. Gonna miss it RIP Big Red 😞

#5 ·
It's a rough spot the section is not flat and it's dead center inside the front spring hanger on both sides and there is a body mount involved . I know how to do it but I don't have much hope of it lasting long term I have a feeling I'm just going to move the failure point down the frame before it breaks out at the welds in a few months. TJ

#6 ·
If the truck had 125,000 miles on it I wouldn't hesitate to try and fix it, but everything on this old girl is original, minus standard running repairs, I wish it had made 200,000 but as hard as I have worked this thing on the farm and off pulling trailers all over the place it has never let me down but realistically that's a lot to ask of a truck . I have already started working on it's replacement , which we bought as a parts truck it's an 81 D150 slant six 4 spd. I just bought a 77 ramcharger 4x4 318 NP435 with a 203 transfer case for the running gear for the 81. I have a very low miles 318 that I rebuilt for another truck that is completely rotted out and I plan on putting it all together for my next farm / service truck. It's not going to be nearly as comfortable as Big Red was (I am definitely going to miss the A/C) but It should last me until I retire and then I will reassess my needs.TJ

#8 ·
I had a friend who is in the repair biz with a lot of connections in used parts check into a frame for me and I am not the only one with this problem and a useable good frame is gone as soon as it's listed. I have given it some thought though.TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.