DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am now putting out more light on the front of my truck than the law allows at any one time.... ive been doing my research on lighting laws and vehicle modification laws here and I ran across this.

IC 9-19-8-4
Muffler cutouts and bypasses
Sec. 4. A motor vehicle may not be equipped with any of the following:
(1) A muffler cutout.
(2) A bypass.
(3) Any similar device.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

I also found this too....

IC 9-19-4-1
Passenger cars originally equipped with bumpers; bumper height
Sec. 1. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered as a passenger car that was originally equipped with bumpers as standard equipment must be so equipped. The bumper height may not vary more than three (3) inches from the original manufactured bumper height for the vehicle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7

now, my wife is going to ask her friend at work about that 3" bumper height law because to me. that sounds like 3" total from the ground. if thats the case.... id be screwed on the front end.

I have gone through the entire chapter 9 of the Indiana law and there is also NOTHING that addresses fenders, flares, or the amount of wheel and/or tire that protrudes from the fender. :D

i also came across this website. http://www.liftlaws.com/indiana_lift_laws.htm

if you go to google and search "lift laws (your state)", theres a website, liftlaws.com that pops up and it has each statute and the laws for any things that would be connected to your state laws regarding modifying your vehicle.

just some info i figured id share with you all.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yeah the 3" bumper law is true.. My friend with a air ride S10 got pulled over on the freeway for "dragging" even though he wasnt... They measured his bumper and saw he had air ride and gave him a ticket..

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
its a 3" deviation from the factory location of the bumper. So if the factory height of your bumper was say 27" from the ground to it highest point, then after a modification, it could be between 24" and 30" at its highest point.

http://www.liftlaws.com/florida_lift_laws.htm

Im glad this truck weighs over 5,000lbs, cuz florida has pretty much no restrictions. You can have as many lights as you want up front, as long as only 4 are on at a time. No bumper restrictions. The vehicle can't exceed 13'6". Wow I need the money for a lift!!

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats cool about Florida and the weight thing. sux about the lights though. we dont have restrictions on the number on lights on at one time. but we do on the number on the vehicle. so technically, i have 2 heads, 2 fogs, 2 spots, 1 aux passing and 1 aux driving. ;D;D

i asked my wife to check at work about the bumper thing and that law implys the location in relationship to the vehicle. not the ground. so a 3" BL is legal. the only other bumper law is that the lowest part of the bumper cant be more than 30" off the ground.

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts
Laws in Louisiana are that the center of the headlight can not be over 54" off the ground. I had a buddy that had his tags pulled last week because his truck was 64" to the headlights. He's running 1 ton axles on an F-150. Now when it comes to lights, they really don't care as long as it isn't distracting to other drivers.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
i need to aim my lights down, ever since the level and 35's i've noticed i'm hitting people right in the mirrors, i feel like a jerk at traffic lights, i typically just run my fogs in stop and go

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always turn my heads off in drivethru and traffic and leave my heads on. last firday night in the DQ drivethru I had a punk in a ricer honda think it was funny to stop short where i couldnt get up to order yet. he didnt think it was all that funny after i flicked my 2 switches and the sun rose in that little car with 12 million candlepower came flooding in. ;D;D

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
hahah yup!!
i use my behind the grillers all the time on "impared" drivers
whether it be those that come to a complete stop next to the sign that says "Keep Moving" (and they do that because they want to cross over 5 lanes of traffic when they are only supposed to use the current lane as a merging lane)
swerving around
pull out in front of me

the list goes on

it's amazing how much more affective they are instead of a horn

and with them being behind the grill, people never expect them, next thing they know, they're being blinded by the light, and i'm revved up like a duece

^^ i couldn't help myself...

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Most of the lift laws have been around for a while. It's one of those laws that generally don't get enforced, unless you commit another offence, such as speeding, throwing sparks, ect... .

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theyve got a bug up there a$$e$ here now there starting to enforce every little law they can find. budget cuts caused them to open the book of pre WWII laws and theyre issuing tickets for anything and everything now. my bro-n-law (CO) said his commander told them that if they find someone in possession of firearm without permit they can charge them with 6 other things also that can tired with that for the fines on them.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Glad I don't live there. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.