DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, :help: I've had the ongoing 1st to 2nd shift problem. Thought my wife had the dealer adjust bands and flush transmission, then it wouldn't go into park. Now it goes into park, but the 1st to 2nd problem came back. Broke 120,000 miles this weekend and it started whining. I dropped the pan to replace the filter and fluid and found a part in the pan by the magnet. :VHOT: It looks almost like a ball joint removal fork with what looks like an indent for a pushrod. Can anybody tell me where it goes, or what it is? :huh: It's sitting in my driveway waiting for me to put her back together.
Thanks,
Pete :gr_patrio

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am. Construction Electrician. :gr_patrio

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Anchor's away!

Attachments

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Based on the pic that Paul posted, that's your "anchor" for the front band linkage

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the way every question thread should go...

What is this...
Here is a pic...
Oh thank you...

Awesome internet...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I guess I will attempt getting her back together tonight or tomorrow night. The stealerships have such qualified mechanics, I'm glad I only do it as a hobby. Again, thanks to everyone, oh, I'll let everybody know how it goes.
Pete

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Cardfan, don't forget to thank Adobe for creating pdf's. Reading the FSM on my laptop while in the can is the best.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Dealer time. If this piece was found in the pan either your front band was WAY out of adjustment or you band is toast. If the band is shot the the trans. has to come out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
B1G BLEU said:
Cardfan, don't forget to thank Adobe for creating pdf's. Reading the FSM on my laptop while in the can is the best.

Oh I thank everyone, I just did not want to make it a never ending Grocery list...

Can't forget good old Al Gore for inventing the internet, even though I don't think he really even knew how to spell it... :gr_patrio

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this same part in my trans pan...

I'm also fighting a 1-2 shift issue. I opened the tranny up and replaced the GPS transducer and solinoid. It did fix a problem I had with the trans "bumping" when in cruise controll, and the GPS error has gone away, but I still have to vary the pedal, or just allow it to reve up to around 2K - 3.5K to get a 1-2 shift.

Did you get this part back in?

Where does it go, and was it difficult?

Thanks!

·
JAFO
191 Posts
This is the third post that I've seen in as many days for that little part. The other two are on DTO,and I've looked at everybody's sig who have posted, 98 or 99 D with 120 or more miles. I've got a 98D with 156k miles- and I'm getting ready to drop my pan for the oil change- This is an omen- a really bad omen. . . actually to put it bluntly, this is going to suck- cause if I don't find it this time, I KNOW I'll find it the next time, if not sooner!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Band Anchor is pan....

I dropped the pan and valve body, it took about and hour and a half, and place the anchor back on the band. The band itself looked fine. I adjusted both bands and put it all back together and it now shifts better than it ever has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's worth trying to put that anchor back in...

I really did not have that hard of a time placing the anchor back in. What I've found is this part is falling out because no one is adjusting the bands like the owners manual suggests. I was even told by a dealer mechanic that it does not need to be done! I took his word for it! :crazy:

To place it back in you will need to drop the pan and valve body, The valve body comes off in one piece, just remove the shift linkage, throtle cable, and wiring harness from the driver's side of the tranny. If you have two people doing this you can get by with out disconecting the park cable, the body will drop enough with a person holding it, for the other to get the anochor back in. Once back in reverse the steps. Before you put the new filter on you will want to adjust the rear band. It's inside the pan. The specs are torque to 72 inch pounds/6 foot pounds and then back off 2 7/8 turns. The specs are the same for the kick down band (the one the anchor fell off of). The adjustment is above the shift linkage on the outside of the tranny case.

I did this in an afternoon and saved myselft LOT of money. Every shop I spoke with wanted to rebuild it. I checked the band and it was fine, just WAY out of adjustment.

Oddly enough some engineer at Dodge decided it would be a good idea to adjust these bands every 12 - 36k, he/she may have been right! :)

I know I'll be doing it from now on!

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
Great, now I'm scared to check mine. I think that I'll just close my eyes, pray and have a buddy check it for me. Hoping mine didn't fall out...

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Relax, there JP, any relation to Larry Linville? the 4.7 has new trannies (2) the 45RFE and 545RFE. No anchors to fall out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.