DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DJMikePaul
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan clutch recently stopped working so I've purchased a 3.8L electric fan from a Ford Taurus for $35 and decided to do away with the mechanical fan altogether.

Since I have a '00 dakota, I am going to have to find replacement washer fluid and coolant overflow reservoirs.

I have decided to go with a stock '97-99 washer fluid and will find a aftermarket replacement for the overflow.

My question relates to the variable speed controller. I have heard that the Flex-A-Lite #31165 is a decent controller for this project, however I have heard that some people have been burning them up.

I have only heard problems with the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, as the amp draw on start is too high for this controller. Has anyone heard of any issues with this controller on a Taurus fan?

Also, are there any other recommendations as far as controllers go? I have looked into running relays as there is a nice wire diagram on this site, but not sure that this is the way I want to go.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
My fan clutch recently stopped working so I've purchased a 3.8L electric fan from a Ford Taurus for $35 and decided to do away with the mechanical fan altogether.

Since I have a '00 dakota, I am going to have to find replacement washer fluid and coolant overflow reservoirs.

I have decided to go with a stock '97-99 washer fluid and will find a aftermarket replacement for the overflow.

My question relates to the variable speed controller. I have heard that the Flex-A-Lite #31165 is a decent controller for this project, however I have heard that some people have been burning them up.

I have only heard problems with the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, as the amp draw on start is too high for this controller. Has anyone heard of any issues with this controller on a Taurus fan?

Also, are there any other recommendations as far as controllers go? I have looked into running relays as there is a nice wire diagram on this site, but not sure that this is the way I want to go.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you.
i have mine wired through a relay but with a manual on/off switch.it had an auxilary electric fan already,so i replaced it with the 2-speed taurus fan,and wired my high side to the factory wiring,so when i turned on the a/c the fan would automatically come on.the low side was wired to the manual switch in the cab.also,it is foolproof,because when the trucks temp reaches maybe 210degrees,the fan would come on anyway,when wired into the factory wiring.does your truck have the auxilary electric fan??

·
Registered
344 Posts
i have mine wired through a relay but with a manual on/off switch.it had an auxilary electric fan already,so i replaced it with the 2-speed taurus fan,and wired my high side to the factory wiring,so when i turned on the a/c the fan would automatically come on.the low side was wired to the manual switch in the cab.also,it is foolproof,because when the trucks temp reaches maybe 210degrees,the fan would come on anyway,when wired into the factory wiring.does your truck have the auxilary electric fan??
Very Nice. Does getting rid of the clutch fan really do much?

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
Very Nice. Does getting rid of the clutch fan really do much?
it is a mod worth doing.people have said it frees up maybe 10 hp,i know mine felt like it would rev quicker,and picked up 1 mpg.it also warms up quicker,and the a/c blows colder(when wired to the fan's high side).i also purchased mine for $35,with a relay,lighted switch,wires,in-line fuse holders,fuses was about $80 or so total.recommended.

·
DJMikePaul
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup - I have the aux. electric fan on my truck.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
yup - I have the aux. electric fan on my truck.
i used my electric fan for a while after removing the clutch fan,by turning on the a/c.but it was only necessary while idleing or in town,and i have a 180 stat so it runs pretty cool.the aux fan cooled fair,but the taurus fan will cool it much quicker.i am sure there are some good controllers out there,i just opted to go with a manual switch.like i previously wrote,when i wired mine to the factory fan wires,it will come on with the a/c and also when the engine temp gets around 210 degrees.so even if i forgot to turn the fan on manually while stop and go driving or idleing,when the motor got hot enough it would come on anyway to keep it cool.good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i used my electric fan for a while after removing the clutch fan,by turning on the a/c.but it was only necessary while idleing or in town,and i have a 180 stat so it runs pretty cool.the aux fan cooled fair,but the taurus fan will cool it much quicker.i am sure there are some good controllers out there,i just opted to go with a manual switch.like i previously wrote,when i wired mine to the factory fan wires,it will come on with the a/c and also when the engine temp gets around 210 degrees.so even if i forgot to turn the fan on manually while stop and go driving or idleing,when the motor got hot enough it would come on anyway to keep it cool.good luck.

When you had just the aux fan (which I have), was this done in the summer time, or was it colder out? Im considering giving this a try.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
When you had just the aux fan (which I have), was this done in the summer time, or was it colder out? Im considering giving this a try.
i changed my thermostat to a 180*and pulled the clutch fan at the same time,and it was during late summer i think.the aux fan cools so-so,and i ran it like that for 6 months or so,but i do not tow either.i thought it did good until i got the taurus fan,and seen how quickly it would cool it off.but you can run your truck with just the aux fan,lots of people have did it.to test it,i just let my truck idle till it got hot enough,halfway on the gauge,and the aux fan comes on.also a/c and i think defrost controls the fan.give it a try,i just don't recommend towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone with a 97 do this? I don't think my 97 has a aux electric fan with the clutch fan.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.