DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, while i do a fair amt of towing and familiar with some do's and dont's of towing etc...i basically know i am not pushing my bounderies on weight limit that i do now, however i have a 04 swb/reg cab/hemi with 20's and i tow a sealcoat rig (300 gallon) it weighs approx 3,500 lbs and with sealer loaded it's in the neighborhood of 7,500 lbs (i may be off a little) i tow with no problems , i am looking to get a 500 gallon rig also...basically with a load and more weight of unit, i will proably be getting in the neighborhood of 10k (proably more like 9,500lbs at it's max) not sure of tongue weight (i will trying to find out tommorow) but i know from what dodge website says....i am pretty close or maybe a little over on my tow limits, i am not looking to get another truck and i maybe will be towing this thing like 2k miles a year (not day in day out for long periods) and rig i pull now, i tow maybe like 3k a year, so again this is not all the time and when i do it's maybe for like 25 miles that day, sorry for short story, but ? is, when u are towing with a vehicle that is basically "very close" or a little over it's limits, is there really any big super con's? i know it's harder on the truck(brakes etc..) and all that good stuff, but is there something that maybe being a little ignorant here that i may not know? i guess my big concern is, this is my first dodge and some people (that dont even have a dodge) go on about that dodge aint going to be able to handle it and u are going to rip that rear out and tranny and crap like that...any guys out there that are at your limits towing also somewhat that have some insight? thanks in advance, also this is not a homemade rig, this is a manufactured rig and when it comes to tongue weight (which i dont totally understand) i would say it's on the good side (if u know what i mean) cause again it's not some homemade rig someone whipped up in the back yard and has the electric brakes/big tires etc....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd say that you will be alright towing it as many miles as you want as much as you want. Just don't get caught over loaded.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
area that i am in and circumstances,that is not a big concern, basically my dodge is....i just dont want to put a strain on her that she cant handle for too long...even though again i know i am just about at my limits, and just to note... safety of course is a concern, but i am for sure use to towing and respect the roads, but i am sure when u are somewhat at towing limits, vehicle/rig u are pulling is proably a little different for sure....again i never really never maxed myself out and hence the questions....thanks for feedback, i guess what i am looking for is someone in similiar situation that has done it for sometime and their dodge handled it....i get tired of friends that really dont know much on this....saying dodges have bad trannys and dont cant handle heavy towing and they got me spooked

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
does the trailer have brakes? get a brake balance controller for you truck, that will be a big help. other then that make sure you stay on top of changing out your diff. and trans. fluid and you should be fine. maybe even a superchips and load the tow and performance setting for some extra torque. i dont think the truck will have a problem with the weight.

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Well, if you want to get picky, you technically are way over your limit. The 10k is if you have a weight distribution hitch.... I get the physics behind them but for some reason, adding two bars and some chains to my hitch doesn't really make be believe I can double my towing compasity. I only mention it because I got busted today for being overloaded at work and not having mine on. Nothin more than a slap on the wrist but still

To answer your question, you'll be fine until you max out. When you get a full load sometime, go get it weighed and double check everything just to make sure that you're not way off on your calculations.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I pulled a 30 foot travel trailer with a bike trailer on the back with two Harleys and a golf cart in the bed. Total weight was about 9,500 pounds. I pulled that for a year and a half almost every weekend in the summer with my 01 Off Road / 360/4:10 gears and never had a problem besides passing a gas station :D

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ geez 9,500 lbs? (i would think all that would be even more), now that's what i am looking for man ;) , according to dodge...a 4x2 swb/reg cab hemi with 392 gears is rated at 9,250 lbs, i will know exact numbers tommorow when i call place,but certain to say she dont weigh over 4k and friend who sealcoats too, says 500 gallon of sealer is 5k, so i believe i am going to be right about on it...thanks fellas...open to any more feedback....i think it will pretty much boil down to take it easy, maintain/change on fluids/brakes and see what she will do

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Two Harleys are about 1600, golf cart is about 500, bike trailer is about 500 and the trailer weighed in at about 6900 pounds loaded.

Now my new rig loaded is over 22K. Your little truck probably couldn't move it :D

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ that's a load man if i ever seen one, i bet u dont dare go in a city with that or better yet...how's parallel parking with that? :D.....u mentioned gas in your response, if u dont mind me asking what kinda gas milieage u getting when u roll with that?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like GPM instead of MPG, damn thats a load!

Watch the rear end when towing over 10k on the 1500. A few buddies have had probs with 7500k loads. I am still on my first rear as I do not tow much and hope to keep it that way. :rck:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
johnnyb1 said:
^^ that's a load man if i ever seen one, i bet u dont dare go in a city with that or better yet...how's parallel parking with that? :D.....u mentioned gas in your response, if u dont mind me asking what kinda gas milieage u getting when u roll with that?
The gas mileage was for the Off-Road, I got about 5 pulling. With my latest rig cruising at 1800 RPM (65 MPH) I get about 11 MPG.
And yes, I will drive that rig wherever I need to go. I have been driving big rig for over 29 years so size doesn't bother me :)
Oh, and I can also back that rig off the road, down the driveway and turn right into the barn when I need to :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.