Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those with key lifts or cranked t-bars, who

have changed their shocks. I have searched this place until my eyes are crossing and there seems to be no consensus on which shocks to get or which part numbers. Could those of you who have actually lifted your front end and changed out the shocks let us all know which shocks (inluding the part numbers front/back) you are running and how they are working? Now I know many of you are helpful and will offer up the info you have found, read, or seen, but I am looking for those who have actually bought them and have installed them. Thanks.

I have a weightlifting competition this weekend where I should win $300 and I want to be ready to order my shocks. Please help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rancho 9000s Rear Part# RS99269, Front Part# RS99283, Work very well on mine.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
Rancho 9000s Rear Part# RS99269, Front Part# RS99283, Work very well on mine too:D

I decided on Ranchos because of their adjustability. Not that I really need it, but it sure is nice to have.

·
#1CowboyFan
19 Posts
I put the OEM Dodge SVT #OSG23279 on the front. Bought them directly from the Dodge dealer in Arizona who works directly with the TRUXXX company. I just leveled mine so I have not replaced the back yet but will be going with a new pair of OEM shocks also and I do not have that part number handy. Hope this helps. :gr_patrio :rck:

·
ABRam
102 Posts
skocks

I have just replaced my fronts so far. I didn't have the money to spend on RS9000's so I went with Rancho RS5000's, part # RS5283. They were 79.99 per shock here in canada at Canadian tire. They seem to be working fine. I will do the back once I get working a little more. Or maybe just go buy a 6" lift kit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BrandonSC said:
OR.... just go to Autozone, Checker, any part store, and tell them you need shocks for a 99 Dodge Ram 4x4. Those will fit!
I see you have the Monroe's. Are they Reflex's? Lastly, how many cranks on your tbars? I have four currently, I want to go back to seven. I was at seven and the shocks kept topping out. I got the numbers for the gen 2 (not offroad) front shocks and the gen 3 rears. Just looking for a little confirmation from someone who has done it already. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
BFP said:
I see you have the Monroe's. Are they Reflex's? Lastly, how many cranks on your tbars? I have four currently, I want to go back to seven. I was at seven and the shocks kept topping out. I got the numbers for the gen 2 (not offroad) front shocks and the gen 3 rears. Just looking for a little confirmation from someone who has done it already. Thanks for the help.
Yes, they are. I think they were around $30-$40 per shock right? Mine are cranked about 5 turns, and have never topped out. The stock shocks actually limit lift on the front. I got 1 1/2 inches when I cranked them, then about another 1/2 inch when I replaced the shocks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I suggesst calling Rancho directly and talk with their tech's. I cranked my T bars (5 or 6 turns) and got a good 1.5" of lift and was told by Rancho that I did not need to get a longer front shock! I bought the regular replacement RS5000's and haven't had any issues as far as topping out. I don't really go offroading with my truck so I think my set up works fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
BILSTEIN Part# B46-2129 Front, Part# BE5-2550-H1 Rear

·
Registered
127 Posts
So I looked up part RS99283 for Ranchos and it's for 02-05 4x4 Rams. Is that right or are people supposed to be getting shocks for a 01 4x4? Are they both the same height and therefore be the same?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually that shock will be too long. Unless you install a 4 inch lift or more do not get the Bilstein front shock recommended by Truxxx on their website. Trust me I have it sitting in the garage. I have the Truxxx keys installed with a mild crank and have the OEM replacement shocks from Bilstein installed with no problems. Bilstein front shock -#BE5-6928 Bilstein Rear shock - #BE5-2550-h1. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How are people with the above mentioned Ranchos getting by? Do you guys have that 4 inch lift? If those are too long, and I wanted to get Ranchos, which ones shall I get?

Also, are the Monroe's any good? I know those are widely available everywhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All I know is that the OEM shock is around 15-16 inches. The Bilstein mentioned on the Truxxx website is 22". If you crank your bars to the max you are going to want a 18-19 inch shock approx. I had mine cranked to the max and I'm telling you the 22 inch Bilstein was still too long. The tech at Bilstein said that shock is for a truck with a 4-6 inch lift. You can make long shocks fit if you compress them but your ride quality will suffer. I'm running the stock Bilstein replacement with 4 turns on the Truxxx keys with no problems. Plus the Bilstein is the best riding shock I have ever used. Hope this helps you.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
With out getting crazy on price Bilsteins are the best you'll get. Have used them for years on many differant vehicles and have no complaints about them.
And that's unusual from me. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I found the B46-2129 Bilsteins on the AutoZone website at a great 59.99 price. This is much better than the price on the Ranchos and a lot of people are recommending the Bilsteins over Ranchos. I kinda wanted the Ranchos because of that 9 option knob but maybe with that the Bilsteins are still better. Any comments on that?

And oh yeah. I found that model number under the 2001 Ram 4x4 1/2 ton option. These are naturally 2 inches higher than 2003s right? So that would make it perfect for cranked bars?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I talked to the help desk at Rancho directly when I bought shocks (not a retailer, but the manufacturer), and he explained that 2 or 3" of lift on the torsion bars does not change the shock size the same amount. Where the shocks are located, the increase is about half of whatever increase you get in height (does that make sense?) In other words, you may lift the front end of the truck about 2 inches, but you've only stretched the shock by about 1 inch. He recommended going with the direct replacements, as they were about 2 inches longer travel than the factory shocks anyway. I took his advise and never bottomed out once.
You'd have to check with Bilstein to see if their replacement shocks have more travel also.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok. After doing a full search I have narrowed it down to the following possible shocks to put on a truck picked up 2-2.5 inches by cranking the bars.

Bilsteins B46-2129
These are for a 2001 Ram 4x4 1/2 ton and people who use Bilsteins w/ cranked bars use these.

Rancho RS99197
For a 01 4x4 1/2 ton without Off-Road package

Rancho RS99221
For a 01 4x4 1/2 ton WITH off-road package

Rancho RS99282
These are stock replacements for my 03 4x4 but there tends to be some confusion as to if they are actually longer or not than the oem ones. Some say yes and some say no. I don't want to buy something and have it still bottom out.

Based on those, what shall I go for?? Sorry for asking the same questions. I like to do a full research before buying something.

:thatfunny

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.