DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you like better and why?

I'm waiting for the honeymoon to wear off with my recently acquired 2001 off-road slt, but it's not my first one. I've had two others: 2500 V-10 and a 1500 off-road sport. I'm giving back a 2004 off-road soon.

I will miss some of the upgrades of the '04 like the steering and engine power, but beyond that I can't say I'll miss it. My hemi had one helluva tick develop and used oil from new. Dealer said it was fine. I said whatever.

I think the 2nd gen trucks are much better looking, have better overall design (even if it is old engineering), and significantly higher quality materials (read interiors of the 3rd gens suck bad).

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't complain too much about having a new truck, but I don't think I'll buy another 3rd gen again. I just don't think you can beat the looks or interior of the 2nd gens.

What do you think?

· Registered
1,234 Posts
I think the 2nd gen trucks are better as far as being compared to the 3rd gen ones. For 1990's trucks they'll do, but now that I've driven chevies as new as '04 and '05, I'll tell you right now that's what I'd replace my 90's dodges with.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Untill the year 2000 I would've agreed with you Blleed, but I had my mind changed instantly with my 2000 off-road sport. I used to be GM loyal, but I was so fed up with my Chevy at the time, I haven't looked back since.

· Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,479 Posts
Let's be real here.
I think the changes for the better between gen2 and gen3 are too numerous to list.
Chassis/brake design, the HEMI, better transmissions, far superior suspensions, better looking (at least til the '06s - I still can't get past those bug eyes).

Night and day comparison, even taking into consideration that some prefer the gen2 look.....because looks ain't everything, especially in pickups.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
The only things I could think of right now that I like better on my '03 as compared to my '97 is the engine power, the stopping power and there is more room behind the seat in the reg cab. Other than that I rather my '97.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
moparedtn said:
Let's be real here.
I think the changes for the better between gen2 and gen3 are too numerous to list.
Chassis/brake design, the HEMI, better transmissions, far superior suspensions, better looking (at least til the '06s - I still can't get past those bug eyes).

Night and day comparison, even taking into consideration that some prefer the gen2 look.....because looks ain't everything, especially in pickups.
I agree with you about the bug-eyed look of the new trucks and the better stock suspension, maybe even the transmission, but I'd have to disagree just about everywhere else. I'll take a stock V10, head problems and all, over a stock hemi any day, just as a specific point.

I haven't driven the 6.1 in the cars. I'd like to try one of those.

· Registered
38 Posts
I'd love to hit the gas of one of those Chargers with the 6.1L in it. Wonder why they don't drop one of those in the RAM? Love the gen. 2's, but would prolly take a 02'-05' over the gen.2's. Don't like the looks of the 06-08', but still would own one. :D

· Registered
36,020 Posts
I have owned numerous trucks in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen and have to say I wouldn't go back unless it was the mid sixties trucks. I am still looking for one to Pro Street. I almost made the deal on this one last year but it fell thru.

Attachments

· Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,349 Posts
i had a 96 ram when i was in highschool about 5 -6 years ago and i beat the hell out of it was a 360 2wd long box i had 180k on it before the trans went so i give much repsect for the 2nd gens it was slow but fun

my new truck is just flat out fun to drive!

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
In the world of 4x4 trucks, a solid front axel is king :D .

2nd Gen.= solid front axel = good
3rd Gen.= independent front suspension = bad

Im for the 2nd Gen. trucks all the way. Ill buy a totaled 2nd Gen. & rebuild it befor ill buy a 3rd Gen. "new".

Just my preference tho... :WHT: & yes I have owned both.

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
I have owned numerous trucks in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen and have to say I wouldn't go back unless it was the mid sixties trucks. I am still looking for one to Pro Street. I almost made the deal on this one last year but it fell thru.
Ram3500Dually, that truck would have been sweet as a pro street :rck: ! I can just see it with a tubbed out rear-end & some fatty mickey's out back :crazy: . Now that i look at it I can also picture a 6-71 sticking out of the hood as well!! :thatfunny

· Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,479 Posts
bigmacdak said:
In the world of 4x4 trucks, a solid front axel is king :D .

2nd Gen.= solid front axel = good
3rd Gen.= independent front suspension in the half tons = bad

Im for the 2nd Gen. trucks all the way. Ill buy a totaled 2nd Gen. & rebuild it befor ill buy a 3rd Gen. "new".

Just my preference tho... :WHT: & yes I have owned both.

There, fixed that for you.

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny
LoL!! Its kind of hard to wheel a 3/4 or 1 ton around here. The swamps would claim your truck for trespassing! But yes, im talking about 1/2 ton rigs only when it comes to the solid axel. :rck: Thanks for the correction!! :D

· Registered
171 Posts
Having driven both the 2nd and 3rd generation Dodge pickups, I have my preferences on certain aspects.

I definitely prefer the 3rd generation gauge layout and the engine power that the 3.7 V6 seems to have over the 3.9 V6 in the 2nd generation. I also prefer the 3rd generation brakes and suspension. But, I also prefer the looks of the 2nd generation front end to the 3rd generations bigger grille. I also prefer the upper door lines of the 2nd generation to the 3rd generation, along with the 2nd generation quad cab to the 3rd generation quad cab, but barely.

All of that being said, I would take a 3rd generation regular cab over the 2nd generation, and would have to flip a coin about 2nd generation versus 3rd generation in quad cabs. I think most of the decision would have to go to what options both trucks had.

· Registered
98 Posts
I prefer the 2nd generation because its paid for. I wanted a new truck with a Hemi in it because it was supposedly more powerful but when they were going to give me hardly anything for trade that was the last straw. I baby my truck so its in excellent shape. Besides I like the looks of my '97 but just wanted more power. So I went modding and I feel much better now and am having fun. Sure it needs some tweaks now and then due to the mods but its got a personallity of its own and its quick. Soon to be quicker and I saved alot of cash doing it even with paying for the mods.

I went for a little over three years without doing any engine mods for fear of ruining my warranty. I call that my brain drain years.

· Registered
142 Posts
hemi has more horse power 345hp vs 245hp and with that you get more performance even before you start all of the mods. there is more room in the back seat area in quad and more room in single cab....gauge cluster is much better looking....breaks...suspention....steering wheel...20's......powered sunroof....powered rear windows....6 disc indash cd changer.....hum...I'm not bashing 2nd generation rams I have 1996 ext cab 1500 I like the truck,BUT I LOVE my 2004 quad hemi!!!!!!plus the 3rd generations just look like and does have more balls than a 2nd...But the 2nd generation is paid for were the 3rd is not..

· Registered
98 Posts
I equalized the the power difference when I put on my ported r/t heads. The hemi does have better heads from the factory. The newer trucks are heavier too.

I agree though. The newer the vehicle the better the refinement. I would put up my single disc MP3 player against any standard 6 disc changer though. With a MP3 capable CD player who needs more than 1 disc at a time.

· Registered
632 Posts
RamIt97 said:
I equalized the the power difference when I put on my ported r/t heads. The hemi does have better heads from the factory. The newer trucks are heavier too.

I agree though. The newer the vehicle the better the refinement. I would put up my single disc MP3 player against any standard 6 disc changer though. With a MP3 capable CD player who needs more than 1 disc at a time.
I prefer playing my ipod vs one mp3 disc in the cd player, I can carry way more music than one can think of at once.

It is amazing how far car audio has come in the last few years.

· Crew Chief
37 Posts
IMO, you should compare apples to apples - real trucks that can work & play are 2500 or 3500 Rams...

I have both 2nd & 3rd Gens, V10/49RE & CTD/G56 respectively - both 4X4 LB 2500 tricked out pretty well.
They are both 9K# service trucks that we use to drag race & sledpull with.

Every aspect of the 3rd Gen is better than the 2nd; acceleration (obviously), braking (WOW!), ride comfort, night visibility, interior features, size & comfort, frame strength, differential make, tailgate & bed, etc...

I haven't noticed much difference in load capacity, build quality or looks (though the 3rds did take a couple of model years to get used to!).

I wouldn't own a truck with the intent to use it like a truck w/o a solid front axle, so I don't consider 3rd Gen 1500s to be in the same class as the 2nd gens... they make nice little hotrods though, kinda like the DMax Chevys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.