DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been beaten to death, but, I am wanting to get fog lights for my truck which did not come with them, although it has the plug in the fender well.

Aafter looking at Ebay and several sites, I am left with a few questions before I pull the trigger and purchase a set.

Wiring - Do all of these come with a aafter market switch which means I need to drill holes or can I get the push button light switch which is used by vehicles with fogs installed at factory?

Lights - so many to choose from... Mopar OEM HID etc... and name brands with prices ranging from 49.99-200.00. Does it matter if we get the mopar OEM or the Xenon (HID or non HID kits) PIAA or some other namebrand...

I know I will need to get my computer flashed so the OEM work, or is there other ways to do this without flashing teh comp and incurring additional fee from dealership?

I am leaning towards the factory OEM, but the Xenon HID sound interesting as well....

thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just installed my factory fogs in my new 08 Mega. The kit was about $165.00 from the dealer I got a good price on that. You can also get the factory kits on e-bay for about the same. It took me about two hours over two days (it was about ten above outside that week) and no big deal I mounted the switch in the blank cover over the e-brake handle. The directions weren't the best but it's not hard at all. Also added the 9006 silver stars.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I say go HID :D. Not only cause I sell/make the kits but they will last longer, never dim, use less power, and are a lot brighter than a halogen wishes it could be.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
OK this is a good topic. I got an 08 with no fog lights and an '03 with fog lights and I want to swap them. I should have no issues just plug and play and swap the switch also??

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The fog light housings are all the same from 02-08 along with the wiring. The only difference is going to be the switch since the 02-05 have a different one from 06-08. The switch will work, but mounting is a different story.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thaks for the info, my '03 doesn't get driven a lot and I want to free up the fog light holes for cold air. Luckily my 08 needs them , and I'm sure I can find a switch somewhere.....

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
You might need to transfer the fog light housing bracket if your 08 doesn't have it already.

·
Registered
76 Posts
im getting ready to install oem fog light on my 03 ram. It never had any fog lights before but it has the wiring harness for them.

now my question is "Electicsand" mentioned that he would have to get the computer flashed for the fogs to work. Is this true?

my other question is, when and if i can mount these fogs will i have to install a switch or will they just turn on when i turn my low beams?

-Stiles-

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
I bought the stock ones for my dakota from a wholesale site for about $140. It came with a new push-button headlight switch, wire harrness, and the lights. takes about 30 mins to install but then you have to go to the dealer to have them "activated"

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
im getting ready to install oem fog light on my 03 ram. It never had any fog lights before but it has the wiring harness for them.

now my question is "Electicsand" mentioned that he would have to get the computer flashed for the fogs to work. Is this true?

my other question is, when and if i can mount these fogs will i have to install a switch or will they just turn on when i turn my low beams?

-Stiles-
Only the 06-08 Rams might need to get flashed. You will need the fog light harness, which if you buy the complete kit on eBay, it will come with everything you need to install including the harness/switch.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Junk yard parts

You can go to your local junk/scrap yard and get the whole sh'bang (lights wireing,switch,mounts etc.pretty cheap out of a wrecked truck.Seems to be alot of rams at the local ones around here.

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
I did the factory kit and went to the dealer to have the lights activated. They did it for free in about 10 minutes....since I bought it there, they were cool and did not charge me.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
man, my dealer charged me $45 dollars for a half hour of labor to do it, that's why I no longer go there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.