DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fog lamps on my 2001 D will only come on when the light switch is in the running light position. They will not power on when I have the low beam headlamps on.

I've checked /replaced fuses, relay, bulbs, and lamp switch with no success. I've also checked the ground and wiring harness from the lamps back to the fuse box and found no problem. I can cross the relay contacts at the fuse box and they will light. Could this mean there is a problem in the fuse box itself? Has anyone replaced the box itself?

I priced an OEM fuse box for replacement and all they will sell is the complete wiring harness from headlamps back to the lamp switch for $1450.00. I'll live with the lamps in running position only if there are no fixes / alternatives.

Thanks everybody for the advise.

Doc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Similarly, I have a 1999 SLT without fog lights, but I got Fog Lights from a gracious member here. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to connect them to the existing electrical system. I'd like to integrate the fogs without adding a gawdy custom switch.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking that I need to go to a salvage yard and pick apart a fog light enabled D and modify mine.

Anxiously waiting for someone to help you.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
the problem may be the switch itself. My fogs quit working all together. It's a common problem for the switch to go bad....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fog Lamps

"Similarly, I have a 1999 SLT without fog lights, but I got Fog Lights from a gracious member here. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to connect them to the existing electrical system. I'd like to integrate the fogs without adding a gawdy custom switch."

Does your D's lamp switch have the "Pull for fog lamp" type switch? You may have to get the right switch (with the fog lamp option) to start your installation. I am not sure if the 99 SLT is set up like the 01.

To configure like OEM you will have to run the fog lamp wiring back to the fuse box in the engine compartment. I think there would be a spot for the fog lamp relay already there. You would have to get and install the appropriate relay then. I believe there is also a separate 20amp fuse located in the cabin.

I would imagine the wiring would be already configured from the dash lamp switch through the dash mounted fuse box and into the fuse box located in the engine compartment. These are set up so the dealer can add the option (fog lamps in this case) without having to wire through the entire harness.

Doc

·
Registered
28 Posts
It doesn't have the switch, but I was thinking of going to the u-pull place in town and see if I can find a Durango that isn't too badly beaten up so I can rape it for some small parts I'm looking for.

(I do hate going to those places as alot of them are severe crashes where someone was ripped to shreds in the car you are messing with - kinda gives me the creeps) :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fog lamps

Any suggestions on why the fog lamps on my 2001 D will not power on when the switch is in the low beam position? I've replaced the relay, switch and fuse. Also replaced the bulbs. The lamps do power up when the switch is in the running light position.

Thanks

Doc

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
schwing
Grab a test light and wiring diagram. I would start by checking the headlight switch. See if it has power coming out to the fogs when the headlights are on. You may have a bad switch...even though it's new doesnt mean a thing, I have tried chasing down electrical problems only to find my "new" part was just as bad as the old one.

I can't say I have messed with my D's wiring but I have on several other cars and I would imagine there is only one wire coming out of it for the fogs. If it's getting power then I would check to see if your multifunction switch is ok. That is where the fogs turn off when the high beams are on. It may be sending a signal saying the high beams are on disabling the fogs. It appears from the fuse box to the fogs are ok since they power up by jumping. So I would start on the switch side and check for power all along the path untill you find your dead spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the additional direction. I was having some trouble with the ignition switch module as well. I replaced that and everything seems to be okay but it did not help my fog lamp problem. The fogs lamps will poser up but only when the switch is in the running light position. I did not consider that the problem might be in the multifunction switch though. I'll give this a look. THanks again.

Doc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.