DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't try to run a "gas" muffler on a Diesel. Diesels flow WAY more air than a gas of comperable size. If you are looking for a semi truck type sounds.....just pull the muffler out. For the Price you are going to pay for a Flowmaster you are already over 1/3 of the way to a 4inch turbo back Complete Exhaust System.

Josh

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I run a Flowmaster on my '03 and have been very pleased with it.....no drone associated with it, like a few others have pissed & moaned about (here and on lots of other boards) with aftermarket exhaust systems or mufflers. I didn't buy my "quiet" $39k truck to irritate me on long trips with loud exhaust; the Flowmaster I have on mine fits the bill for me personally. Flows better than stock, significantly louder than stock at idle, whilst cruising, and at WOT, without being a nuisance. No problems with EGT's or performance...see numbers in sig and pics in gallery.
Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want to know the correct volume of gas flowing through your exhaust system, use the following formula;

Code:
CFM  =  [u]Engine Displ (cu in)  x  Full Load RPM  x  Eff  x  (Exh Temp F + 460)[/u]
                                  C  x  941760 

CFM = exhaust flow rate in cubic feet per minute
Efficiency  =  .85 for naturally aspirated engines
Efficiency  =  1.4 for turbo-charged engines
Efficiency  =  1.2 for engines with scavenging blower
C  =  1 for two-cycle engine    C  =  2 for four-cycle engine

If exhaust temperature is not available, use:
T  =  1200F for gasoline engine
T  =  900F for diesel engine
With the above, we're (CTD) moving right at 1332 CFM through the exhaust system at 3000rpm.

Knowing that, you can go to any of the major muffler manufacturers and using their attribute search feature, find a muffler with the best compromise of gas flow and noise attenuation. ;)

Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also thought about putting a flowmaster on my 04 3500 CTD 600, but when i went to get it installed, i talked to my uncle who is a diesel mechanic and he said that he wouldnt recommend putting a gas muffler on a diesel because after a while the diesel suit could eventually build up on the inside of the muffler and cause problems as well as hurt the horsepower because lack of airflow through the smaller gas mufflers. He said stick with the diesel mufflers that are designed for diesels. I ended up just going with a 4" straight pipe all the way back with 5" tip and i couldnt be more satisfied with the sound and better performance, not to mention the looks when i pass by.

2004 Ram3500 Dually
CTD 600

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.