DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving down the road going about 20 mph and I hear this loud bang in the back of the truck (I have nothing in the bed) over my loud rock music. At first I was afraid the pumpkin exploded, but the truck was still driving fine except now I heard something dragging...pulled into a parking lot and lo and behold it was one side of my dual exhaust from the muffler back. It rusted immediately after the Flowmaster muffler where it takes a bend to get over the axle just on one side. Looking it over, the other side is fine! Going from the headers to the muffler, everything looks great on the outside. From the muffler to the back tips, it looks rusted. Had a local shop reweld it back on, but damn! I'm not sure how old the exhaust is, I bought her 2 years ago with this system on it already and the truck's an '04. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
242 Posts
So I'm driving down the road going about 20 mph and I hear this loud bang in the back of the truck (I have nothing in the bed) over my loud rock music. At first I was afraid the pumpkin exploded, but the truck was still driving fine except now I heard something dragging...pulled into a parking lot and lo and behold it was one side of my dual exhaust from the muffler back. It rusted immediately after the Flowmaster muffler where it takes a bend to get over the axle just on one side. Looking it over, the other side is fine! Going from the headers to the muffler, everything looks great on the outside. From the muffler to the back tips, it looks rusted. Had a local shop reweld it back on, but damn! I'm not sure how old the exhaust is, I bought her 2 years ago with this system on it already and the truck's an '04. Anyone else have this problem?
Sounds like whoever installed that system, didn't use the standard aluminized pipe that should have been used. I haven't seen actual steel pipe since the 90's. LOL.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Job Security..

By using "Rusting" Steel pipe, yout muffler guy wanted to see you in the future.

Or he just wanted to see you again, and was afraid to ask for your phone number...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep. My Flowmaster blew off pulling a trailer. Went 2.5" straight pipe from the Y with a glasspack and haven't looked back. Better towing MPG and better sound.

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
I had a flowmaster on my 05 Hemi and it was a real love/hate relationship. I loved the sound of it, but after about a year and a half, I had already noticed some serious rust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
mine rusted off on both of the tailpipe hangers.
love the sound but didnt last worth a crap.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Sounds like whoever did it didn't use the stainless pipe. AFTER the muffler.. why blame them. I had a flowermaster for 5 years and another one for 4 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
you also don't live in the salt belt. they rust like crazy here. im sure an all stainless system wouldn't or atleast would take a lot longer. mines rusted and its not even 3 years old.. both peices fell off for the dual tips

·
Crash™
367 Posts
mine is still solid after 8 years in the south :)

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
No rust on mine ether.

The only problem I've had is they "Explode" or Rip open. I've gone through a few of them ripping open.

The current one I have is 4" IN/OUT with 5" internals. about 2yrs and still holding up good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My last flowmaster exhasust rusted out in 5 years. I also had to weld it up two or three times due to rust. It was the salt here that killed it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Reason I took mine off....Rust....would never put anything less than 304 stainless, now.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
304 Stainless is a bit excessive, just use aluminized pipe and VHT coat the exhaust as soon as it's on and don't worry about it.

Stainless is crazy expensive in comparison and will still rust at the welds and pit after enough rocks nail it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
304 Stainless is a bit excessive, just use aluminized pipe and VHT coat the exhaust as soon as it's on and don't worry about it.

Stainless is crazy expensive in comparison and will still rust at the welds and pit after enough rocks nail it.
My 304 cat back was way cheaper than my flowmaster. It pays to shop around.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Hence why i said "by comparison"
Flowmaster anything is going to cost more than the JBA variant. If you exclude isolated deals and such, aluminized is cheaper and more cost effective than stainless. And like I said, you still get rust at the welds if you don't put some paint on em, in which case you might as well use aluminized pipe and paint the whole thing.
Stainless will prevent rust from the inside out on mufflers though. But I just don't see stainless pipe necessary.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree with what your saying. Alot of places that see alot of salt, snow, etc., may want a little more protection. Yes, painting them will give you that, but i didnt want to go that route.

The factory system on the Ram's and most other manufactures us 409 Stainless. I think its lifespan is 100k miles if i remember correctly. I would have left my factory on there, but it was off before i bought the truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.