Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I had my Flowmaster catback si/do (#430402) installed today and have some questions. First, it is VERY deep and L-O-U-D from 1700-2100, pretty quiet everywhere else. Not cool at all. I have Flows on my two Mustangs (68 and 86 models; the 68 has no cats) and this truck is TWICE as loud in the "resonance" range. It also has a buzzing that comes in and out while in gear and stopped. It has really made the truck not fun to drive. None of these problems existed before, so I know they are because of the exhaust.

So are these issues normal? I am going to give the muffler 500 miles or so to break in before I pass judgement, but things are not looking good so far. Has anyone had a similar experience with this muffler?

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I have the Flow also. Do you have it dumped before or after the axle? Or do you have it ran all the way out the back?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
dodgeramman05 said:
i got a flowmaster 50 series deltaflow exhaust i havent had any problems

i have my vids from my galley in the link

http://www.dodgetalk.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=42638
How was the sound for the first few miles? Did the tone and volume change as it broke-in?

mullinax05 said:
I have the Flow also. Do you have it dumped before or after the axle? Or do you have it ran all the way out the back?
The muffler is in the stock location, and the 2.5" pipes are run all the way out the back of the truck. Looks great :), sound like poo-poo. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just installed a Flowmaster 40 Series at first I kind of hated (thought is was way too loud) and then I got used to it and I really like the sound at lower RPM's. But as soon as you give it some gas it sounds pretty bad. I like it at idle and light throttle, but I like to put the pedal to the floor and then it sounds like crap. The tone really changes from a nice rumble into an obnoxious gluk..gluk..gluk.

I have a Magnaflow SI/DO Cat Back on order.....hope it sounds better! I got a set of Denso Iridium Spark Plugs free with my order. I just changed my plugs at 30,000 (I'm at 40,000 now) so I will probably wait to put them in at 60,000.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Well then it is as quiet as it is going to get I feel sure. I have had a truck with the pipes running all the way out the back with chrome tips and it was the quietest. Now when I bought my Ram I had them run just past over the axle(a little loud). The end of the exhaust was on each side of the spare tire. I leveled my truck recently and I started to notice a plastic burning smell and after looking under my truck the park brake cable was touching one of the pipes. So I cut the pipes off right before the axle(LOUD). But it is the sound that I have been wanting all along. It has a real deep rumble now compared to the pipes running past the axle. So I believe that the only way to not have your truck loud is change to a stock type muffler or to a queiter aftermarket type muffler without changing the whole exhaust system that you just had installed. You can keep it and you might get used to it eventually.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had the Flow 50s for almost a year. SI/DO and there is substantial resonnance in the cab at 1900 - 2200 RPMs,,,,,,,,,,,,, so just turn the tunes up and ignore.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Texas Hemi..... As stated above, the issue you have in resonance. There are tons of threads in the archives mentioning the 1700 to 2100 RPM resonance problem which often results when changing the stock muffler and/or going to a catback system. Did you research any of this before making your purchase? :WHT:

I don't think I've ever bought a new truck and left the exhaust system stock, until now. Of course, "it ain't over till it's over" but at this point, after a lot of deliberation and reading here, I'm leavin it stock. I don't want to be forced to run the sound system loud to drown out the exhaust resonance.

You may try having a resonator (or resonators) installed in the exhaust piping. If you no longer have your stock system, you can purchase aftermarket resonators.

Best of luck,

Zach

·
BIG BLACK CTD
646 Posts
i've had my Flowmaster 50 (SI/DO) for over a year. At the beginning there was more drone in the cab. In my opinion, it mellows out considerably after awhile. My wife is pretty picky about those kinds of things. If it was obnoxiously loud, I'd have to make changes. She likes it as it is.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mullinax05 said:
The end of the exhaust was on each side of the spare tire. I leveled my truck recently and I started to notice a plastic burning smell and after looking under my truck the park brake cable was touching one of the pipes.
I have to give the guy who did my exhaust credit. He tied up the parking brake and brake line before he even installed the exhaust. This guy has done 4 cars and now 3 trucks for me over the past 15 years. So hopefully, I won't have any problem there.

TexasZach said:
Texas Hemi..... As stated above, the issue you have in resonance. There are tons of threads in the archives mentioning the 1700 to 2100 RPM resonance problem which often results when changing the stock muffler and/or going to a catback system. Did you research any of this before making your purchase? :WHT:
Actually, I did research the exhaust and, my mp3 player, for weeks before I bought the truck. My main issue is not resonance. I have Flows on two of my vehicles right now and have had them on 4 other vehicles in the past. Not one of them has this...BOOM...I guess is the term. There is no defined glug-glug-glug sound. It is a BBBBBRBBRBRRRBRBBRBRRBR, with no defined exhaust pulses. Does that make sense?

My sister-in-law has an '03 Ram with the 4.7L and the exact same muffler. Her truck sounds AWESOME!! I even drove it for an afternoon to make sure I could deal with the "drone". (Which for you 4.7L guys is almost non-existant btw.) My truck is not even half as loud at idle and TWICE as loud in the resonance range. Almost like I have a damaged muffler or something.

One thing I did notice is her muffler is located much closer to the rear of the truck. So the 3" flow tube is longer and the dual pipes are shorter. Would that matter? As I said earlier, I am going to give the muffler 500 miles before I make a decision. The nice thing is I can just swap in a different muffler if I want a change. Thanks for all of the responses! Any other opinions or experiences would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Exhaust System

I had the same problem with the magaflow system & after
driving it for one day, I took it back & had them put a resanator on & i still
have a nice sounding system without the drone at low rpm!! :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey TH, I answered your threads before morning coffee, didn't even realize they were both yours. From what I've read, the 4.7 is less tempremental when it comes to changes on the exhaust.

You may want to consider going back with the stock resonator and a Flowmaster 70 series muffler, SI/DO to work with your catback.

Zach

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE

I spent all afternoon in the truck running errands. After a few "scenic route" trips, total mileage was just under 100. The muffler seems to be breaking in. The glug-glug-glug exhaust pulses are quietly present at idle now, and the volume at lower rpms is coming up to match the resonance range volume. I still have some in-cab vibration at while idling in gear, so maybe a hanger is touching something. I'll have the exhaust guy check it on Monday.

Things are looking up!! Look for another update next weekend. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KaPPaBaLL said:
didn't you do a search on this before you decided to buy the flowmaster system? it will have interior resonance.
Yep. I searched and read for two weeks before making a decision on the Flowmaster. I even drove my sister's truck for an afternoon (which has the exact same muffler, although her truck is a 4.7L) just to be sure I could deal with the sound. Resonance is not the problem. It was the overall sound quality of the exhaust. However, things are slowly improving. I would imagine the sound will be where I want in a few hundred more miles. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just changed my stock muffler for a magnaflow and im a bit dissapointed.... and i read 1,000 posts. its not loud enough but i keep reading about a breaking in period,
do mufflers really have a break-in period? never heard of that before.
anybody?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The universal fit Magnaflow 3" si/offset- 3" so/center does not have the resonance. I am changing it out, however, for a Flowmaster si/so HD Hemi-specific muffler because I am greedy for even a drop more power (not convinced that Magnaflow gave me any gains other that nice sound). Here's hoping! If the resonance gets to me, I'm gonna put in some dynamat a little ahead of schedule. If the sound sucks and I don't get any power, I will be reselling the Flowmaster pretty quick at a sizeable loss. lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
The universal fit 3" si/offset-so/center does not have the resonance. I am changing it out, however, for a Flowmaster si/so HD Hemi-specific muffler because I am greedy for even a drop more power (not convinced that Magnaflow gave me any gains other that nice sound). Here's hoping! If the resonance gets to me, I'm gonna put in some dynamat a little ahead of schedule. If the sound sucks and I don't get any power, I will be reselling the Flowmaster pretty quick at a sizeable loss. lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Who needs a resonator!! Cut it out!! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.