DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I tried searching but didn't find much on this one. My air selector will blow air either on defrost or on the floor, but it won't let the A/C blow out the vents. Where should I start. I'm planning on getting a repair manual tomorow and going through it, but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem so I know where to start. Thanks.

Stick

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish I had an answer, mine does the same thing every so often. I've had it in a number of times, and as luck would have it, they can never reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knobs...

I've noticed the knobs are on the cheap side as well.... I just hate to tear into a dash blindly.... Sounds like maybe I should take pics and share since no one here seems to know what the problem is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the problem is the trap door up under the glove box and to the right side. mine has broken twice first time dealer fixed now out of warrente and im trying to fix myself just having a hell of a time getting the dash out to get to the damn thing. as I remember the dealer said that it was an all day thing and the whole dash has to come out to reach it. PITA it is.

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
according to the picture in the above post Actuator door (#6) is the root of my problem. The air stoppped blowing with the usual full force out of the dash vents when in recirc mode or normal cool. This is the second time this part has failed on my truck. To fix turned out to not be that big a deal. if your door is not visable or it is broken this is how you fix it. up under the passenger side above the foot area you will see a vent opening covered by some weak plastic grill that is part of the unit. you should be able to see/feel the door open and close when you have the aircondition on and switch between recirc and normal cool mode. if not here's your sign!!you need to remove the center dash trim (around radio and controll knobs) the main dash behind it to include passenger side and glove box etc) easier to do if you remove the air bag also ( few torx screws on front and two or three bolts up underneath) so you can get access to the ac housing and fan motor on the bottom of the unit (just above the passengers right foot) Three screws and fan motor drops out the bottom. next remove the two 10mm screws holding the computer looking electronic brain box up under the dash but on top of the black plastic heater/ac housing. there is a third screw holding the electronic box on the left end of it but you can just tweek the unit out of the way with out removing this screw. Push it back and left so that you can remove the three screws holding the motorized actuator Part #5 in refrenced picture. Almost there... If door is broke you can reach up through the fan hole (you removed) and work out the door. To make it easier I chose to cut the grill out of the vent opening up under the dash ( it's not needed) to get better access to the door this will also facilitate the removal of the white piece under the motorized actuator as it is barbed on the inner side of the housing.

Yah yah sounds like a mess. It is somewhat but all in all is pretty self explanitory once you get started and just take your time getting all the little screws out of the dash pieces to actually access the part you need to get to. once there replace the door and put her back togather. OR you can jbweld the broken spine on the door and replace it OR for those lucky enough to have warranty left let the dealer do it. NOt me just turned 80,000 miles. so its do it yourself time or pay the stealership waaaaayyyyy to much for something that can be done by the average joe with a few simple tools and about three hours time. if I can get my dig cam to work ill post pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Door

How much did that door cost ya? I'm sure it's a dealer only item... I've wiped my schedule for saturday to do it. I'll take some pics and post. I appreciate the info.

Stick

·
Registered
45 Posts
cost me tube of jb weld. was a sunday and didnt want to wait. probably is not too extravigant in price but then again its the stealership. any problems shoot me an email or reply. I'm on and off the computer all weekend. be aware there are lots of screws in the dash. in thinking I had to remove the entire thing I toook apart way more than I needed the first time. you only need to remove whatever necessary to remove the passenger side. goood luck c.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HVAC work, in or out?

Did you get the entire unit out? Or did you do the work inside the truck? I've been at mine for about an hour and a half and the HVAC unit isn't budging. I must have removed 200 screws by now, and most of my dash is in the back seat. Anyway, I'm just taking a break to cool off a bit, and I'm bakc at it.

P.S.
The Haynes manual sucks for this job.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Complete Failure

Ok guys, it's a complete failure. After 3 1/2 hours of taking everything out of the dash I could get out without removing the steering colum and pulling the entire sub frame, I quit. There's no way that HVAC system is coming out unless I pull everything up to the firewall, and the control door I need access to is directly behind the center "armor" plate that is behind the radio. So, in short, I guess there's no A/C from the vents for me next summer. Man... I'm too depresses to even drink a beer on that one...

·
Registered
45 Posts
no brother, you just have to get access to the unit as I described. the whole dash does not have to come out. I originally thought this also.. but it does not. only need to remove passenger side parts ( dash coverings and air bag) you will see the unit which does NOT have to be removed from the truck. The vent you are refering to is also different than the one I fixed. My problem door was above the passenger feet up under the dash on the right almost against the right door jamb. there is a vent/grate opening there. I removed the fan motor above pass right foot and cut out the grate to get access from both top and bottom ( thru fan opening). you must be looking at another vent door in the center as you are describing.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/24-004-03.htm door
# 6 is where my problem was # 5 is the actuator that controls it and the grates can bee seen on the upper right. these are what I cut out cheap soft plastic and not really needed for anything. If you could possibly get your hand in there with the dash on you deserve a cookie . hope this helps. if you want any further help pm me and Ill get you my # to talk yo thru it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Different problems

Mine is behind door number 11. Hence, the whole unit has to come out. I saw the fan where you were talking about but that wasn't my problem. Like I said, it will have to stay that way for a little while anyway. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
no worries just trying to help out. anyway today my door is broke again. guess the ******* jb weld didnt hold. now I get to do it all again :mad: and find out how much the trap door really does cost. better luck to you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
got new door installed. $23.00 for whole assembly housing,door,bushing, and actuator motor. Not bad for all that from the stealership. Tossed housing kept /installed the rest. Now blowing that cold air with full force again. :rck:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I keep reading this post waiting for the day when I grow enough [email protected]!!$ to try and tackle it myself.

No idea which one on mine is busted but the symptom is the same as both of yours. Funny thing is if I turn mine off for awhile it starts to work again. So I"m not 100% sure that's what it is.

I keep stalling doing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.