DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 D50 2.6 that I replaced the fuel pump. Now the engine will start but run only for a minute or two and then the carburator floods out and the engine dies. Its so wet thereafter that it will not stop. Its mainly the passenger side of the two barrels. Could the fuel pump be defective? It wasn't doing this prior to the new fuel pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
381 Posts
The needle valve in your carb is probably worn or sticking. The new fuel pump might be putting out a bit more pressure which the needle valve is unable to close off. It could also be a sticking or mis-adjusted float.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
haha, those carbs are almost impossible to rebuild properly. The best advice I can give anybody who has a D50 and plans to keep it, is to dump the stock carb and buy a Weber conversion kit. The weber carb is 10 times better than the stock carb, better response, better milige, better reliability. Yeah it's a lot of money to spend on a D50, but you won't have near the problems(the stock carbs are noturious for screwing up) and you're gonna spend 230 buck if you buy a stock replacement anyway.

Another route you could take is to just get the adapter plate for the Weber, and then get a 2bbl carb off an early 2.3 Ford, like a Mustang or a Pinto. Same pattern, and they were actually made by Weber too, and they are cheaper to come across.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Speed Dragon said:
haha, those carbs are almost impossible to rebuild properly. The best advice I can give anybody who has a D50 and plans to keep it, is to dump the stock carb and buy a Weber conversion kit. The weber carb is 10 times better than the stock carb, better response, better milige, better reliability. Yeah it's a lot of money to spend on a D50, but you won't have near the problems(the stock carbs are noturious for screwing up) and you're gonna spend 230 buck if you buy a stock replacement anyway.

Another route you could take is to just get the adapter plate for the Weber, and then get a 2bbl carb off an early 2.3 Ford, like a Mustang or a Pinto. Same pattern, and they were actually made by Weber too, and they are cheaper to come across.
Speed Dragon? Is that one of those Asian type carbs with all the vacuum diaphrams and attachments that you dont get parts for in the rebuild kits?

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
The stock one is, yeah. I swapped out 3 of them on mine when i had it(one of which looked like a brand new one), all 3 were bad, so I finally bought the adapter plate for the Weber, and put an old Weber 32/30 I found on an old Datsun in the junkyard on it, and never had anymore carb problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.