DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of buying an 02 tomorrow.. just curious.. would i be able to pull a wrangler, lifted? i have either a 1 hour ride to the local mud hole, or 2 hours.. but i am in south florida, where there is no hills or anything.. the biggest "hill" we have around here is the on ramp to the highway...

i have been flat towing this with my 99 Jeep Laredo for a couple months now. eventually when i find the right opportunity, i will buy a trailer. just no room right now to store one.

its going to be a stock, 02 with the 20" wheel package and a 4.7 motor..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, no responses?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more interested in the towing capacities of the truck. should i keep in in 4th or let overdrive engage? never flat towed with anything but the Laredo before. just curious if i should do any upgrades for this.

i know by reading the first post, you would only assume i am asking a VERY stupid question.. i should have been more specific.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i have only drove it 3 miles.. but i dont see a switch or option anywhere to engage it...???

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
OD off is on the end of the shifter knob. I don't think tow/haul was used until 04 or 05 model years.

Your truck will be able to flat to that no problem.

·
QCSB 5.7L Hemi
115 Posts
Is not tow/haul mode the same as "OD off"? I was under the impression Tow/Haul mode was a term used for people who didn't understand why you would need to turn the OD off.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
The5150

you will have no problems flat towing that

djtecthreat:

YES. You are correct.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tow/haul, as I understand, also makes the shifts delay longer in an automatic transmission to allow more torque for towing, in addition to locking out overdrive. Keeping the transmission from shifting back and forth, helps keep it from overheating.

Also, Summitracing.com sells a great line of transmission oil coolers, less than $100.00. One of the best investments I've made for my truck, along with the 180 stat (I now use 180 stat, not 160) The 180 stat also lowers the tranny oil temp, since it is cooled through the radiator. Both these mods combined, around $100.00, well worth it if you want to keep your tranny and engine, towing or not.

Also- your post says you're from FL, one of the hottest states, no question this would be money well spent.

·
06 4.7L 4x4
849 Posts
It will defintetly tow it, i towed my buddys jeep, with a 25 foot flat trailer and it towed it fine, i really needed helper springs tho cause the back end was down so far

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tow/haul, as I understand, also makes the shifts delay longer in an automatic transmission to allow more torque for towing, in addition to locking out overdrive. Keeping the transmission from shifting back and forth, helps keep it from overheating.

Also, Summitracing.com sells a great line of transmission oil coolers, less than $100.00. One of the best investments I've made for my truck, along with the 180 stat (I now use 180 stat, not 160) The 180 stat also lowers the tranny oil temp, since it is cooled through the radiator. Both these mods combined, around $100.00, well worth it if you want to keep your tranny and engine, towing or not.

Also- your post says you're from FL, one of the hottest states, no question this would be money well spent.
very nice info, exactly what i was looking for. thank you. i know a dodge will pull a jeep... duh.. but this was the explanation i was looking for.. cheers!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Some years had "O/D Off" and some had "Tow Haul" and some had "O/D Off" and "Tow Haul".

O/D Off obviously will prevent it from kicking into overdrive... Tow Haul will still kick into overdrive, but will hold the gears a little more than without.

And yes... the truck will be fine pulling the Jeep.

·
QCSB 5.7L Hemi
115 Posts
Some years had "O/D Off" and some had "Tow Haul" and some had "O/D Off" and "Tow Haul".

O/D Off obviously will prevent it from kicking into overdrive... Tow Haul will still kick into overdrive, but will hold the gears a little more than without.

And yes... the truck will be fine pulling the Jeep.
What years had both? I find that bizarre. I talked to an auto-trans builder the other day about this very same topic, he says both are the same. Tow/Haul disables overddrive.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems towing that Jeep at all. Definately use tow haul for towing. I just sold my YJ which I towed on a trailer that weighs 2000 pounds by it's self.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have no "tow mode button" or whatever and only OD on or off.. i will defiantly keep it off when towing. eventually i might be getting some different gears though. im sure my around town gas mileage would get better. i only tow once a month maybe, but once every 2 months for sure..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts