DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my ball mount has/had been in my hitch for several years. Mostly because I put a locking hitch pin in it that stopped working. Yesterday I decided to get that hitch pin out so I could change the ball mount... That didn't go as planned.

We got the hitch pin out, but the ball mount had rusted inside the receiver hitch and was stuck. So we got a tow strap, connected one end to a stationary point and the other end to the ball mount. As you can see from the picture the ball mount came apart. Scary...

I had one of those White Knight reverse lighting systems on it. I guess that kept water back there causing the rust. I don't know.

I called Curt hitches this morning to see about getting a replacement hitch. Apparently the bar going from side to side has to stay in the truck. It's a major support piece of the truck. So, I'm not sure what to do now. I guess call around to the junk yards to see about getting that entire piece?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Ouch! I was able to pound mine out with a two pound hammer but only after using a punch for the pin. I was banging on everything back there so hard, I had rocks and dried mud falling from one end of the truck to the other. I have a new one but I'd like to clean-up and repaint the hitch before the hitch goes back on. I think the old one is still rolling around in the bed. There's just not enough hours in the day.

When you get yours cleaned-up, post some more pictures.

:photo:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bring that to me and I'll replace the whole hitch. Don't thing I'd trust that mess to pull a trailer again.

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bring that to me and I'll replace the whole hitch. Don't thing I'd trust that mess to pull a trailer again.
I'm not going to trust it either. I've called around here locally and I think I found one. Going to go check today.

If you were closer, I'd take you up on that offer of you helping to replace it. Thanks for the offer.

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed!!

Friday afternoon I went around to a few salvage yards looking for a replacement hitch. I found some but they were either rusted, bent, or demolished... So I decided to go to the dealership just to see how much a new one would cost. I walked to the parts counter fully expecting a new hitch from Dodge to cost $400 to $500. I was wrong... It was $181!!! :grin I paid for it right there and it was delivered the next morning.

Sunday came and a friend of mine who is much more automotive savvy than I am helped replace it. It took us about an hour and a half to replace it. We did have to remove the back 4 bolts holding the bed to the frame and just loosened the front two enough where we could lift the bed to get the old out out and the new one in. We placed a 2x4 under the cross member to support the bed while we did it. We did have the advantage of using my friend's lift so that helped a lot.

Impact wrench, sockets, extensions and PB Blaster were our friends on this job. Just glad it's done! I'll admit, I was nervous the entire time taking my truck apart, especially when I found out we had to lift the bed. Mostly because I didn't know how it needed to happen. Looking back it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I've attached a couple pictures. The picture of the truck in the air is with the 2x4s under the cross member lifting the bed up.

Part number from Dodge is 52110373AG in case anyone needs to do the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
A nice new receiver. Now, put your new hitch in and leave it there for five years. Lol.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Love a happy ending!

:grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.