DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I decided to tow my 30ft camper(6400lbs) to our sportsman's club. I was real disappointed in how my truck struggled. I know the lift and 35's sucked some power away, but I could not believe how much. I'm hoping it had something to do with me not using the correct tow setup. I could not use my weight dist. bars bec my hitch did not have enough drop. The one I did use still left the camper a lot higher in the front than the rear. Do you guys think this made a difference? Looks like a gear upgrade in the near future.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm sure that the combination of a five inch lift and taller tires had bad effects on handling. First you need to correct that so that your trailer is close to level. Then you need to do something about power. Gears would probably be the best move. Because your taller tires have in effect change your gear ratio.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What gears do you have now, and what performance mods have you done. I tow with the stock 20's and my trailer is about 8k. It used to struggle up big hills at lower rpm's, but get the revs to 3500-4000 and it was fine. Now I have a sidewinder cam, shorty headers, electric fan, and a SC tuner set on 91 tow tune. The towing experience is so much better then stock, my truck has lots of power in the lower rpm's where I need it. I used to srtuggle to keep 4th gear at 2100 rpm on flat ground, now it will even climb overpasses in 4th and long slight grades in 3rd. I have a WD hitch and it feels completely stable in all weather and road conditions. Those big tires are killing your torque, I don't see a tuner in your sig, did you calibrate your speedo for the taller tires, that could throw off your trans program a bit. Get a SC tuner and some shorty headers with a magnaflow y pipe, this will help make a little more low end power, and much smoother mid range power. I put the BBK shorty headers on my 07 QC 4x4 Hemi, they fit, and they were 299 US, and the y pipe was $25 US, this should help quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I would definately say get lower gears & a tuner that lets you recalibrate shift point rpms. Thats the nature of the beast with the auto trans gear ratio's. I have no idea what they were thinking. IMO, with the 545RFE tran gear ratios, they have actually geared it so high (low numerically) that it actually gets worse mpg. Our PW gets 1 mpg more all the way around.My tires now are the same size as my 04' 2500 w/4.10's (which SUCKED BIG TIME for pulling the same camper we have now). Yet now I have the G-56 6-speed manual & 4.56's & it tows the same camper with ease. Hills & strong headwinds do not scare me at all anymore. 1st gear in the auto's is 3:1. 1st gear in mine now is 6.29:1---2nd is 3.48:1---3rd is 2.10:1---4th is 1.38:1---5th is 1:1 & 6th is .79:1 Rev is 5.74:1. Dodge should really make an auto with these same gear ratios, because yes, they are that good, for HD towing.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Been there, done that....4.56's is the answer to your question. Oh ya, the travel trailer has to be level to get a balanced tow....

·
Don
918 Posts
yea its the lift and tires///...I knwo when i try to even haul ass in my truck with 6inch lift and 35's when u try to gun it its horrible...couldnt imaghine a trailer

·
The White Collar *******
1,807 Posts
The tires wipe out your effective gear ratio in a hurry.

A gear swap is the solution.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
If they made 4.88's to work in our E-locker axles, I would have them. That way I could run 35" tires & still have the excellent pulling power I have now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Getting the trailer to sit level and your weight distribution hitch hooked back up will help some.

Gears will also help, but really nothing will ever completely make up for the lift/tires.

Just wondering, how is your camper so light? Not doubting you, but i tow my inlaws 32ft. bumper pull and its 10,600 on the scales with empty tanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wondering, how is your camper so light? Not doubting you, but i tow my inlaws 32ft. bumper pull and its 10,600 on the scales with empty tanks.
It depends on how the trailer is built, there are alot of light weight, and ultralight units out there that are suprisingly light.
The "stick and tin" ones are the heaviest. Slideouts etc also add weight.
Ratfink3500

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 3:55 gears. No other real mods other than a straight pipe in place of the original exhaust. Looks like I'll be upgrading to 4:56 gears soon. Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts