DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in about 2 weeks I will towing with my ram for the first time.
04 Hemi QC 4x4 103k miles. Stock with a drop in K&N on 17s.

I will be taking a 16" open trailer from MN to PA to pick up a gutted race car that weighs about 2300 lbs and probably another 500 lbs in extras parts in the bed.

I've towed car dollies around town here before with my old Dakota and a dolly from IN back to MN with my old 2wd standard cab Hemi, but have never gone on a trip this big or have ever hauled a car trailer before.

So with that, what should I prepare for? I just picked up the truck 2 weeks ago and this trip came up rather unexpected. So I feel a little rushed as I havent had time to use the truck and fix anything that might come up with it.

The tires are new, shocks could be replaced but I think that will have to wait. I just had the oil changed, coolant flushed and everything inspected this week. I will be replacing the brakes and having them bled before I leave. I ordered a Tekonsha P3 brake controller this week also.

So is there anything that I should look for, bring with, or consider replacing/upgrading before I leave?

Things I am wanting to do to the truck eventually would be a quality cold air intake and Superchips programmer. But those were things I wanted to do this summer, however if investing in something like the programmer now for long trip would be a bigger benefit I may consider doing it now.

I am open to suggestions and comments.

·
15,912 Posts
Towing 2800lbs......Your Hemi will not break a sweat. You have the brake controller, just do not speed and always be aware of the others on the highway. Expect the unexpected and you will be fine.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
With that little weight, you don't even need the brake controller, but of course it won't hurt to use it. I towed a Camaro a few weeks ago that weighed about 5-6k lbs with trailer and all and the Ram had zero problems stopping it without trailer brakes. Even with my little 4.7 I had no problems getting it going and keeping it at 70. Your Hemi will barely know it's back there. Just as Jeff said above, take it slow and don't get in a hurry.

It's also a good idea to stop every once and while and check out the trailer and car. Make sure your trailer tongue, truck hitch & tie strap in the car are still secured. Also check the tires and trailer lights too when you stop.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems towing up to 3500 to 4000 Lbs

I pull my Center Console with a half ton Right at 3500lbs and the only thing you have to watch is the Traffic in front of you! keep extra room between you and the car ahead , when i come to a Red light I all way coast up to the light Meaning off the gas,The slower speed being easier on the Trucks brakes.

I had issues with the Boat trailer brakes always being locked up after the boat sat for a couple weeks ,Salt water,so i took them off ,the Truck stops the boat trailer just fine ,But you don't go flying up to a red light Thats for sure LOL ,Just keep a little extra space between you and the car ahead and you'll be fine,I find the little extra space to be a Comfort Zone! cause i know if the Guy in front of me gets into trouble i have time to react.
one other thing i do is watch the tailights on the cars in front of the car In front of me,This helps specially when the guy infront of you isn't paying attention....

Remember With most trailer Pulling ,Goings not the problem ,Stopping is LOL

Maintain the comfort Zone and life will be good :~)

Thats also Good advice from Myoung84,about Checking the trailer ever so often! one thing i always do is make a habit of feeling the hubs ,Were it Sticks out between the Lug Nuts,You can tell by the temp of that hub if you have an issue with it or the bearings,once you start checking this hub by hand you will know what it should feel like at operating temp!

Enjoy the trip,and be safe :~)

·
Registered
139 Posts
You need that electric brake,just when you tow ,a nuckel head will pull out in front of you thinking he can beat a hemi pulling something,and the truck brakes feel like they have oil on them in a quick stop.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Take a time to drive and safe and air in tires! Watch the Weather too!! Have a HEMI IS ENOUGH POWER! Make sure you check tranfer case fluid, if you have 4x4, transmisson fluid, so forth. Also, you might want to add the blind spot mirror! without anyone cut you off!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yeah, like everybody said and take some pics.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
you won't have a problem towing that weight. now if it was a 4.7 I would recommend getting that superchips now. It made a world of difference in towing with my ram but I tow 6500 pounds though

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i need new gears i do not like the 355 but the cost

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Always looking for a good deal on 4.10"s for mine.
Just be awaare of others, had a knuckle head deside to cut over 2 lanes on the freeway causing many to panic stop, I was towing a 19' toy hauler that trip, I think I had an inch between my bumper and the car infront!

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
just remember its not how you drive its the other people that are on the road with you i know my electric brake controller has helped me a few times

·
Registered
495 Posts
use that tow-haul mode

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I just came back from a trip to Destin FL and racked up 4706km or 2922miles. I carried a good 800-900lbs of gear, luggage, myself and the wife in my Durango R/T. Guys towing small (14-20') open top boats were passing me when I had the cruise set at 70mph! They didn't look to weigh more than 2-3K with trailer. I wouldn't tow anything over 65mph just to be safe; cross winds can catch even the most cautious driver off guard.

I just bought a 2003 Ram 2500 w/Hemi. what is the max for it to tow? thanks
Depends on the axle ratio, cab size and if you have a 4wd or 2wd. A reg cab 2wd with 4.10s can handle around 11K, 3.73's will drop it down to around 10K if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just realized I never updated this.
The trip went fine. On the way out to PA through the mountains I saw as high as 15.X calculated MPG crusin around 70. On the way back we avoided tolls (and got stuck going through the mountains for like 5 hrs)
Worse I saw was 10.xmpg but averaged around 12 or so. The truck was loaded down with more than I planned. I had about 2500 on the trailer, no big deal but well over 1000 lbs in the bed. 3 motors, 12 wheels/tires + extras. The bed was FULL! (note, should have loaded car AFTER I filled the bed :thatfunny)Glad I bought a topper a few weeks before I left.

Just 10 mins from the mountains on the way back the front drivers brake pads wore down to the metal. Was lucky enough to find a auto parts place 4 miles away. Did a brake job in a walgreens parking lot.

Overall we did about 2400 miles in about 54 hrs. Long trip! I didnt get many pics, we were focused on getting out there and getting back ASAP.

Here are some of the pics.

Just leaving at about 6 am

Old Neon plant

Skyway bridge in Chicago. Cost me like 11$ to drive over this damn thing.

A few of tunnels through the mountains

The money I spent going out there to load up my truck with goodies. (the damn tolls were $100 hauling an empty trailer)

And on the way back through just getting into the mountains.

This is the next moring after driving all damn day.

And what has been following us all the way back.

WTF is that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts