DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my hemi on May 28th of this year, had 17,000 miles. Haven't really had time to do anything but drive it to work and back (only had time to wax it once). Well, anyway, was racing my friend in his chevy home from work, and noticed that when i punch it if i'm going under 15 mph, if i hold the throttle all the way down, it doesn't shift until 6000 rpms. Is this normal for a hemi? 3.55 gears, quad cab 4x4. Are you supposed to let up and let it shift or something?

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
Mine shifts at around 5700 or so. It is normal and just keep the hammer down

· Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,372 Posts
At wide open throttle it should rev up like that. I think 6200 is the redline so you are fine, as it is going to shift before it hits the rev limiter.

· Registered
40 Posts
I am not sure about just flooring it. I have no experience and have only "taken off" from a stop 2 or 3 times, really havn't stretched her legs yet. When I do, I lightly let off the gas just depending on how the engine sounds. I think that helps the engine switch gears easier and probably puts it under less stress. I would think just all out flooring it would not be good for the engine. But hey, I am a noob when it comes to this, I was actually going to ask about it myself. Lets get some more input here.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
well if you want your engine to last 200,000 miles flooring it from every light wont help you in that department. Nor will it be healthy on your petrol bill. But engines these days are pretty durable with rev limiters and such.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
I would think WOT shifts would be harder on the tranny more then the engine, but that's just me.

· Registered
8,156 Posts
I think these hemis are high end motors as a stock motor goes. Mine revs about 6000 rpm's at shift also. Do as you please it's your truck. Have fun

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
If WOT shifts are bad for the longevity of your hemi then mine will be dead before it is paid off :D

· Registered
39 Posts
6000 rpms is by no means high rpms. It all depends on how the valvetrain is setup. Certain spring rates, cam timing, materials used in valves and rocker arms, etc... The redlines are set at certain rpm's due to this "mechanical" limit. I am by no means stating that 6000 rpms is the limit for safe operation... car manufacturers set the redlines so that you can safely achieve that rpm many times over the life of the engine and not risk permanent damage to the valvetrain and the engine as a whole. Basically what im saying is, dont worry about it... they're tough engines, if that's what rpm your tranny shifts your engine at, then that's where it's supposed to do it. If you're really concerned, just take it into the dealership and have them check it out... 7 year, 70,000 miles is a great powertrain warranty... use it.

JD

· Registered
464 Posts
I haven't floored mine yet (only 400 miles on her), but my sister's '03 4.7L upshifts from 1-2 at 6200 and 2-3 at 6000. I would imagine it is no problem. Strange thing is the motor is still pulling up there. Very cool to have low-end torque and high end hp. :D

· StreetRods Rule
481 Posts
i've had my ram for 12,000 miles now, and mines the same way. i dunno if the factory tach is off or not..
mine shifts right around 6,000rpm and it will flash stall to 2200rpm, and the converter is not slipping either, it engages solid..

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Uhhh form here on in floor it, the tranny is dogged down to begin with,, the torque management system keeps from frying this poor tranny!!! The engine wasnt built to let off the gas b4 shifts, you bought the Hemi for a reason , stop teasing the go pedal , floor it time to time ,the giggle factor will wear off eventually and you'll go back to driving it like a grandpa again,, dont be afraid!!!

· Sporadic
82 Posts
Mine pulls right to 6000 also possibly even sometimes a little faster, i dont know how safe it is, i have that dead spot at 35 and i realized it only shifts into second wen ur going 35 so i just manually drop it into first, and it jumps right up to like 5900 u gotta shift it into second quick or u hit the limiter and it really doesnt sound good for ur engine... i dont think theres a day were my engine dont rev up to 6 gz... beat the **** out of it esp if its brand new, whos gonna keep a vehicle for 200,000 miles? ill buy a new one at 30 and call it dead

· Registered
8,156 Posts
must be nice

· Registered
8,156 Posts
run them hard and have fun. you canworry later about breakage

· ITS SO SLOW !
1,660 Posts
tcm keeps it from shifting hard im sure after time it would wear on the tranny . the tcm lowers the engine speed slightly to give a soft shift (which sucks).

· Registered
476 Posts
Tommyboy1 said:
the giggle factor will wear off eventually and you'll go back to driving it like a grandpa againQUOTE]

Ooooooooo.. i hope your wrong about that.. but ya, like everyone else has said.. Drop the Hammer! :rck: :drivingz:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.