DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i am a newbie to the forum and am relatively new to the world of modifying first gen rams. bought one as my first vehicle, and its almost set to drive for the winter, so i figured i would start making plans for some insane and financially irresponsible modifications. the list includes updating suspension, different seats, bigger wheels/tires, and upgrading to a cummins turbo diesel.

the current engine is a 318 la, probably out of a 90s dodge (not the original engine). the trans is the 727 automatic, 4wd and all. what sort of parts do i need to add to convert to diesel? i know ill need new mounts and ill have to go through the fuel system and exhaust, but can i use the 727 trans i have, or should i spend the money to get a beefier trans?

in order to run the wheels and tires id like to use, i need to do some form of 8 lug conversion. is it worth tracking down the parts needed to convert my current dana 44 and 9 1/4" axles to 8 lug, or should i just purchase new axles? if the latter, what do you guys recommend? the truck is gunna be driven daily until i can afford a second vehicle, it will be used for mild towing, no more then a single car on a small trailer, and of course some mild off roading. i dont think ill need to go overboard on the strength side, but i dont know what the stock axles can handle, and to be honest i really do not want to find out the hard way!

thanks!~alex

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.