DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had ordered a set of firestone airbags from summit racing and i just installed them today. after assembling them, it took me about 2 hours from start to finish to install it. its fairly easy and straight forward. the passenger side lower bracket sits right next to the brake line on the axle housing but i don't see that being a problem.
here are my reasons for going with the airbags. i burn about 5-6 cords of wood a year and in doing so, i have to haul that wood from where ever to my house. i don't overload my truck but i hate having it sit so low. i want to take some strain off the shocks and leafs.
i also take 2 motorcycles and a pop up camper on vacation a few times a year and that really makes my truck ride low.
i was going to go with an add a leaf but that would make my ride stiffer all the time. at least i can have a stock ride most of the time and when i have to haul something, i air up and level out.
so here are some of my questions for the guys that have these installed. is it hard to inflate the airbags after you have the load in your truck? i have heard rumors that it takes forever to inflate when your truck is loaded.
will the airbags (inflated or not) be damaged while driving off road. i'm not talking rock crawling but driving down a logging road, up and over rocks and through ruts. i ask because of 2 reasons. first i take my truck into the woods to go hunting and second, i go into the woods and get wood. thanks

·
mafosa
824 Posts
i havnt had any problems with them inflating while under a load. i put the valve by the licence plate, so i can access it from either side. this is one of those install and leave it upgrades. mine been there for a year in a half.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats where i ran the 2 valves, the bottom 2 holes for the license plate. you don't even know they are there. i was considering getting a T and making only 1 valve so they air up at the same time.
so you have had no problem airing up with a loaded truck? are you using a big compressor or a small portable one?

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
As far as durability on gravel roads, look at every big rig on the road. Nearly all use Firestone airbags. I haven't had any problems pumping mine up. The most I've carried is 2800 lbs net and that took 85 psi with my bike pump (1 minute to air up, the volume is smaller than a football). Now I'm lazy and have a little rechargeable 12v air pump under my seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am asking for more than just gravel roads. i'm basically asking if articulation in the suspension will hurt or tear the bags.
i'm glad to hear that it won't be a problem airing up after the truck is fully loaded or the trailer is on. i have a small portable pump, one that i keep on the atv in case of a flat. i'll just have to go get another one and keep it in the truck.
i guess the one person that i know had a different brand airbag, not firestone, and he had a real hard time airing up on a full load.

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
I don't think articulation will cause problems at all. It is a fact of life that the bags will fail eventually, just like tire rot. Did you buy the Ride Rite bags or the sport bags? Most of the sport bags are rated low around 1000lbs + whereas the RideRites are much higher than the axle limits. I could see how the smaller bags would be hard to inflate under weight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i purchased the ride rite bags, so its rated for more than the truck. so far i rode around and at 70, 50, 30psi, the truck is a little bouncy over bumps (empty). i am going to try it at 10 and 5 psi and then leave it at either of those. not having a gauge, i guess i'll have to keep checking the pressure.
when i get some time today, i am going to put the pressure at 5 psi and then load my quad (about 800 lbs) in the truck and pump up the bags. i'll post my results.
one thing i noticed, with them aired up...the truck sits a lot higher. i'll have to take measurements and let you know the results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i loaded my quad in the bed before and it took about 1 minute each side to get to 80 psi, that was using a small portable compressor.
theres about 2 inches difference with 0 psi and 80psi empty.
i set the psi at 5 for everyday use. it seems like the psi in the bags fluctuate. i set it at 5 and after an hour or so in my sunny driveway, it was at 14psi. if it moves around that much, looks like i will have to get a gauge of some sort.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
Thanks for the info on the ride rite firestone bags,
and also on the loaded unloaded psi 's and for the ride height.

I'll be putting those same bags in this summer, and this helps seal the deal for them.
Secondly, I'll certainly be putting in a gauge for them but I'll be running that up to the consol storage in the mid seat, and after that I'll be putting in an on board compressor in the engine bay . Already got that picked out to, it will fit where the stock airbox was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
here are some numbers empty and with the quad in the bed (approximately 800 lbs)
the driver's side and passenger side height is from the ground to the bottom of the fender, right above the center of the tire. oh, i have 285/70/17 bfgoodrich all terrains on my truck. hope all this helps anyone thats reading it. all i have to do now is find out how the truck and airbags do off road.

EMPTY---------------------------------------800 LBS IN BED

PSI- DRIVER'S SIDE HEIGHT--PASS SIDE HEIGHT......PSI-----DS-------- PS
0 ---40 3/8"------------------40"...........................0----38 1/4"----37 3/4"
5 ---40 1/2"------------------40"..........................20----39 1/2"---39"
10--40 7/8"-----------------40 1/2"......................30----40"------39 1/2"
20---41 1/8"-----------------40 3/4".....................40----40 1/2"----40
30---41 3/8"-----------------41 1/4".....................50----40 3/4"---40 1/2"
40--41 1/2"-----------------41 1/2"......................60----41"------40 1/2"
50---41 3/4"-----------------41 1/2".....................70----41 1/4"----40 1/2"
60---42"---------------------41 1/2".....................80----41 1/4"----40 3/4"
70---42"---------------------41 5/8"
80 --42"---------------------41 5/8"

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
You will only need to be careful if your rear suspension starts to droop on one side or completely! The rear suspension will likely droop beyond the limit of the airbags extension and as long as you aren't going too crazy, you should be okay. Push comes to shove use limiting straps if you are really concerned.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i appreciate the feedback. i was just doing some more thinking. i am guessing that i probably should get some kind of air pressure gauge inside the truck so i can monitor the psi. especially if the psi changes with the temp. i see that some guys have used the srt10 a-pillar and all sorts of gauges. any feedback on that and pics would be greatly appreciated.

now with doing something like that. i am assuming that you would get a T connector and join both air bags. then run a length to another T. one end of that T going to the gauge and the other to the valve to fill up/deflate airbags. does that sound about right?

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
No you don't, and I wouldn't want, to have both air bags off of one tee myself. Cause with two you can use the air bags for leveling. Now I haven't done mine yet, but mine will set in the underseat storage box, two gauges, and two switches for remote air compressor , but you can put two valves their and one of them portable cig power compressor. (so that even if its raining, if you can stand the noise, you can fill them)
There is a perfect grommet in the floor right there to breech for the hoses.

·
MOPAR OR NO CAR
674 Posts
I've had the bags for about 2 years now. Pretty much my best mod so far. I've got the smart air system,,, I got to say it's worth every penny. I know it's debatable but having separate filler lines is only good if you want a REALLY rough ride or a flat bed and usually offset a load.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
Why would separate lines mean a rough ride?

·
If only I had more $$$
3,696 Posts
Maxtcc said:
Why would separate lines mean a rough ride?
Because when you hit a bump on one side,.. the air is not transmitted to the other side. IMO separate fills is better, cause when cornering your truck won't sway because of pressure differential.

My truck can handle washboard roads ike crazy,.. and I run about 5-8psi unloaded.

People complaining about rough rides in pickups make me laugh,.. buy a Rolls Royce or something,.. its not like you are driving a car. I know my truck is smoother in the rear since I have added my bags,.. and once I change out my OEM shocks it will ride even better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright now i am confused with the last few posts. not understanding if having 2 seperate lines is better or not. its probably personal preference i would guess.
mudchucker, how do you have yours set up. besides seperate lines, do you have gauges or do you check psi manually?

·
If only I had more $$$
3,696 Posts
kjclark7 said:
alright now i am confused with the last few posts. not understanding if having 2 seperate lines is better or not. its probably personal preference i would guess.
mudchucker, how do you have yours set up. besides seperate lines, do you have gauges or do you check psi manually?

Check my gallery,.. you will see my air gauge mounted in the SRT10 pillar and where my compressor is mounted. I did separate inflate/deflate cause I didn't want sway in cornering.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mudchucker, what kind of gauge do you have. i can't tell in the pics what it is.
ideally i would like to have/get a gauge with 5 psi increments, that way i can tell if the pressure goes below 5.

maxtcc, where is the grommet that your talking about to come through the floor? driver's side, middle, or passenger side?

i am still contemplating on how i am going to set it up. seperate lines or not and where to put the gauge are some of the things i'll have to look into.

last question for now. are the components/fitting/airlines to other systems all interchangable?

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
kjclark7
grommet is drivers side,under the seat, mine had a tin plate over it and thenit was just the black floor sealant.

If you run two lines into the storage you can still tee it there if you want one line, or change your mind and have separate at any time and not have to run a new line, the tubing is cheap so I say put it in.
The fitting and hoses are standard sizing, , however each component may have a differing size, eg 3/16",1/4", 3/8", but these are handled by the fittings themselves.

here is a picture of the location of the grommet under drivers seat:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.