DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just came in today and installed in about 1/2 hr. I will try to get a short video clip with the phone and post.

update: video is in my next post!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a quick video I did..

Attachments

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Looks great man-whered you get it from??

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
waldershrek said:
Looks good. How bright are those backup lights?
they are pretty bright. when my truck is in reverse it lights up for like 30 ft on the road. but i also have a really bright tag light and reverse lights.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like HemiRamOn22s said, they are pretty bright. Of course alot more noticeable at night. Showed the wife when she got home from work, it was actually quite surprising, but she actually liked them and said they looked really cool. Most of the stuff I do to the truck she just usually goes ooh.

Ramman1 I bought them from http://www.vanhorn1.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=454. Pretty easy to install. For those who are looking at these and want to install, I found the reverse wire and hooked into it on the drivers side rear light. The wire color was white with a light green. There is another white with green, but that green is a litte darker. I used a wire tap to hook into the reverse wire. Not sure exactly what its called, but you put the reverse wire in and then insert the white wire from the LED bar and then push a little metal clip on and that taps into both wires without having to cut and splice. I am sure someone knows the exact name for that type of connector. Taped the connection up and put the tail light back on. The rest was just making sure the light bar is in a location where you can see it, but not to high so when you open and close the tailgate that it hits the bar. Pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it!!

·
2005 Power Wagon
357 Posts
mcgill4 said:
I used a wire tap to hook into the reverse wire. Not sure exactly what its called, but you put the reverse wire in and then insert the white wire from the LED bar and then push a little metal clip on and that taps into both wires without having to cut and splice. I am sure someone knows the exact name for that type of connector.
That would be a Scotchlok connector.

Nice job on the install ... looks good! :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks QUDABY4, I knew someone with a little more knowledge would know exactly what it was. Install was really easy.

Thanks again!

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the info-i also saw on the website that it also plugs right into your existing trailer hitch plug if you dont feel like wiring it but i think that might look kinda funny on our trucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the connector is the revers type connector from our wiring harness for a trailer, the 4 wire behind the rear bumper. As far as the looks, once you have everything in place, there are zip ties they send with it that you can tie up the extra wiring. You can't even tell its hooked up. Then if you need to tow something, its just a matter of disconnecting the wire harness and plugging it into a trialer, or whatever. I will try to take a pic today when I get home so you can see the connections, if you want?

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
mcgill4 said:
Actually the connector is the revers type connector from our wiring harness for a trailer, the 4 wire behind the rear bumper. As far as the looks, once you have everything in place, there are zip ties they send with it that you can tie up the extra wiring. You can't even tell its hooked up. Then if you need to tow something, its just a matter of disconnecting the wire harness and plugging it into a trialer, or whatever. I will try to take a pic today when I get home so you can see the connections, if you want?

Sounds good if its not too much trouble for you-TIA

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a problem, I will take one today when I get home from work.

·
15,912 Posts
If you have a tow package, you will probably have the 7-pin connector in the bumper and the 4-way flat tucked underneath next to the spare tire. You will still have to tap into the reverse wire for the white led's to work. On a side note, I would have shrink wrapped the tapped connection rather than taped it up. The tape will eventually come lose, not the shrink wrap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't have any shrink wrap to use. I would have definitely used that if I had some. If they tape comes off, then I will get some shrink wrap. Until then, I am not to worried about the tape. But I will definitely check it occassionally to make sure eveything is OK. Thanks JeffB

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I would buy a couple of packages with the male and female ends and fabricate a pig tail where you can plug into the existing harness and have two outputs so that you don't have to unplug the Fire & Ice bar and still tow aa trailer too. It's super easy to do and really cheap too!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ramman1, I will have to get that picture for you tomorrow. For some reason my camera on my phone is acting up. Pictures are turning out blurry. I will get that for you tomorrow. Sorry. It really is a simple connection, if you can hook up a trailer to the 4 pin connector, its the same way with the Fire and ICE LED's. I've alreay had quite a few compliments on them..

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
mcgill4 said:
ramman1, I will have to get that picture for you tomorrow. For some reason my camera on my phone is acting up. Pictures are turning out blurry. I will get that for you tomorrow. Sorry. It really is a simple connection, if you can hook up a trailer to the 4 pin connector, its the same way with the Fire and ICE LED's. I've alreay had quite a few compliments on them..

No worries man just curious. I think i know the wiring your speaking of. Seems simple. They look great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.