DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my plugs out today with NGK V-Powers I purchased from Advanced Auto Parts for $53. It took me around 4 hours, but I took my time so I wouldn't get frustrated. It's not as bad as it looks, though, and one could use several different extensions, and a swivel adapter. I started on the drivers side, as its the hardest. The third set back on the DS is hardest, and after that it's easy street. I laid out all the old plugs, gapped them and wrote it down on a piece of paper, then snapped a pic. I was shocked at how bad the gaps were. They were gapped anywhere from 0.046 to 0.054!

This is also a good time to change the PCV valve. I also took apart the throttle body and cleaned it.

Haven't drove it yet, as I'm changing diff fluid to Amsoil, and painting diff covers to match truck.

:cool:

·
Tape On
829 Posts
Good deal! I love doing what ever maintenance I can to one have it done right and two save some $$.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Scapegoat: What was your mileage before you swapped out the plugs.
Whats in it to take apart the throttle body? Was it easy. I think once I was shown how to do it, half the battle is already done, because I have an after market CAI. Its ( TB ) right there in front of me.

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a spreadsheet of my mileage.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57667

I average around 14, but I drive mostly highway.

The throttle body has 4 10mm bolts and a wire harness. I had my air box and intake removed for the plugs, I looked in the TB and noticed it was dirty. Check my gallery for pics. The TB says "Do Not Clean", and the manual says not to spray solvent down it. I took it off and cleaned it so nothing went down the rest of the way. If you remove it, (and disconnect battery) the manual says to start, you must turn the key ignition on, but don't crank, wait around 10 seconds, then crank, so the PCM learns the TB parameters again.

·
Tape On
829 Posts
Hey Scapegoat, thanks for the Excel milage spread sheet. I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but I'm whiz with Excel.

Edit: How do you work it. :D

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should say underneath the hood. Mine said 0.045

·
Registered
254 Posts
scapegoat,

EXCELLENT POST!!! Outstanding job/idea laying out your OEM plugs! I am extremely impressed with this post. So impressed that if all goes well, I'll be swapping mine out Tuesday. I new the gaps on the OEM plugs would be off, but I had no idea it would be off so much. One degree makes a hell of a difference! Thanks for taking the time to help out others scapegoat!

(Be sure to post your mileage after the swap)

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
It says do not clean because the TB has a special coating in the inner side that prevents from foreign debris getting in. But it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does anybody know off the top of their head what the plugs should be torqued to when they are put back in? I'm always paranoid about snapping one of those critters in half by tightening too much, versus not tightening enough and then they work loose.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Should be 14 ftlbs if I recall.

KB

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I took the Ram out for a 5 mile run after finishing up everything. Idle is definetly smoother, and take-off is dramatically better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bosch Plugs

Anyone tried Bosch???

·
Registered
318 Posts
GotMyHEMI said:
Anyone tried Bosch???
I went and Googled "NGK V-Powers" just now. I found a Subaru forum, a Probe forum, and a Saturn forum that all slammed the Bosch plugs.

Something else I found about the NGK V-Powers plugs is that everybody seems to love them :D

One post made mention of having to pay attention to how much hotter or colder it gets in your neck of the woods when it comes to what kind to get. Can anybody shed some light on this concept? Down here in Texas it gets beastly hot, so I'd say we are safely in the Hotter part of the temp spectrum.

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
254 Posts
Originally Posted by XPLOSV
I went and Googled "NGK V-Powers" just now. I found a Subaru forum, a Probe forum, and a Saturn forum that all slammed the Bosch plugs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I search the posts on this forum and found alot were runnin the NGKs. Some want to run the $12 a plug iridiums that last 100k, and never change em again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.