DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally posted the pictures

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  BigWhiteD 
#1 ·
Well, check them out. I've finally made it around to putting them in my gallery. I hope you guys enjoy, and let me know what you think about anything - especially the roof rack as I just put it on yesterday. I know you guys will be honest, and that's what I want.

Brett

#2 ·
Looks great, although I wouldn't drive around with the roof rack on without a reason.

#3 ·
Why's that? I really like the look.

Brett

#4 ·
I think it looks pretty good, although with the T/S Lift its time to upgrade to a more aggresive tire.

#5 ·
I dont really like the roof rack it kinda looks like a shelf from Loews thrown on top. I also would never hide the aggresiveness of the front end with a brush guard. Durango front ends look to good by themselves!~

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. I do love the front end of the Durango's too, and I had a hard time in debating whether or not I wanted one. In the end I really like the look of the chrome all the way around it (guards, bars, and racks). Coach, I only wish that I could just fit the 33's on it. Those were some of my friends tires that I just rolled in front of my D to see what it looked like and see if I thought they would fit. I'm pretty sure that I would have no flex what-so-ever if I did go with the 33's plus I would have to cut the crap out of everything to make some mt's fit. That is one of the last things to do - the tires. But I can't right now. I could afford it, but I would waste money not using my road tires till I wear them out. There's probably about 5,000 - 10,000 still left on them. But as soon as those are gone, you can bet I'm going to have figured out the 32x11.50's (goodyear or bfg's) that I want on her. Thanks for the comments so far.

Brett

#8 ·
And by the way, I did have a completely full load of stuff in my durango at the time of those last pictures. I was moving my girlfriend home, and that's why it's sagging a little. I don't like when a vehicle sits higher in the front then the back.

Brett

#9 ·
brettdac said:
snip** I don't like when a vehicle sits higher in the front then the back.
Brett
In the '80's we called that "the nosebleed".

As far as the racks, it looks sleeker without. Like it's an afterthought.

#10 ·
I like it. Chrome steps, racks, and guards. Nice contrast with the black Durango. I say leave the rack on, it completes the look.

#11 ·
Since we're on the subject of the rack...

You prolly listed in another post, but I must've missed it...
Is that a steel rack or is it aluminum? I went to the website "suvracks.com" which I saw in your pictures, and all they do is compare the size to the yakima racks, not much info there. If it's steel, how much does it weigh? (approx)

#12 ·
It's pretty light, but honestly, I'm not sure what it is. It's probably not steel, but it is definitely a heavier aluminum. Thanks again, fellas.

Brett

#13 ·
I was wrong. I checked it out, and it is steel. It is a heavy welded steel rack. Just letting you know.

Brett

#14 ·
Well when it came in the box, I believe it said it weighed a little less than 35 pounds. Maybe 32 or so. Just saw that question. Sorry.

Brett

#16 ·
Thanks, Kevin. So do I. There seems to be mixed feelings about it though.

brett

#17 ·
I think the difference in opinion goes in different tastes of the offroad and the street/performance look crowds. I'm building my D more towards performance, but the Jeep owner in me loves the offroad looks as well. Thus, the performance guy in me loves the looks of the street stuff, but the offroad guy in me loves the rugged looks that comes from things like your roof rack.

#18 ·
brettdac said:
I was wrong. I checked it out, and it is steel. It is a heavy welded steel rack. Just letting you know.
Steel and under 40lbs, excellent! Now I gotta convince the wife to let me spend my money on one. I wonder why the black costs more than the chrome...:huh:

#19 ·
Well, I did look it up, and packaged it was 36 lbs - still really light. I'm not sure why they are more either. On the website is his outdated price on the chrome rack too. It's cheaper on the site right now, but he let me have the chrome one for total price extension and everything for 160 = 93 (rack) + 43 (extension) + 24 (shipping). The reason that the chrome dropped down in price was because as I was speaking with him about getting one, he got one sent back because the chrome had started rusting. So he dropped the price for me, and told me that he was planning on changing the website soon. That still doesn't explain why the black ones are more expensive. It's always been the other way around - grille guard, step bars, tailight guards. Oh well. It's a good rack, and not too much noise from it either. Let me know if I can help you out with it anymore. Thanks, and if you are going to get one, tell the guy that I refered you. By the way also - the extension does work even if he tells you it doesn't.

Brett

#20 ·
Look at this, dragging this ol' dead horse out to beat it again...
Anyway, I finally purchased this rack (chrome w/ extension) , and I found out why the chrome was cheaper than the black powder coat. It says right on the website (www.suvracks.com) that the chrome the manufacturer used was not up to snuff, and some minor rusting has been reported, so they are closing them out at a discounted price. I did want the black rack, but I'm gonna be drilling holes in it to mount overhead lights, and if I 'F' it up, I would rather ruin the cheaper rack. I was originally planning to paint it myself, and touch it up whenever it got bad scratching, but now I am considering getting some of that do-it-yourself bedliner stuff and putting a tough coat on it. The chrome looks pretty good, but it is the only thing on my D that is chrome, so that's gotta go. Right now I'm away from home for work (every week) but I'll try to post some pics soon.
BTW-I have it not just for looks, but to haul all our camping gear, which turned into a slight problem this summer. Wife approved!

#23 ·
brettdac said:
...and let me know what you think about anything - especially the roof rack as I just put it on yesterday. I know you guys will be honest, and that's what I want.

Brett
your truck looks great! nice work....i don't like running boards or nerf(?) bars, but everything else looks very nice. i like your chrome motif... :cool:

#25 ·
Got a picture. Here it is. I really do need to get rid of the chrome finish.

Attachments

#26 ·
That looks sweet man!!!

Hey keep me posted about Saturday, not sure I'd be able to go (son's soccer game) but I'll try and keep options open.

Also...supposed be getting new tires/rims Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.