DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 4.56 gears installed yesterday!! I have been babying the truck since they were put in, but I can already tell a big difference when you are on a hill. The truck will actually pick up speed in overdrive with the TC locked where before it would down shift. I am still running the 265/75 tires so the highway may be a little expensive. I plan on upgrading to 285/75 tires next so that may help with that. I am only on the highway for about ten minutes at the most anyway, and I normally poke around at 60-65mph anyway. The 4.56 gears should have been offered on these trucks. It drives so much better with them. When I get them broke in I will post back about the performance gains with them :rck:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I love you and I hate you at the same time. I too am ready to consider gears cause I have 285s with 3.5 gears. ARG.

Been waffling between 4.10 and 4.56 so I am very interested in what you can share.

·
Registered
138 Posts
what rpms you running going 65 with the new gears?

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
I just had 4.10 gears and a shift kit installed, and I'm happy with my decision. I had waffled between either 4.10 or 4.56s for a long long time, and I think I made the right decision. My driving is about 95% highway, and the 4.10s have the rpms up about 250 more than stock. I find that the truck does not shift as much, and it definitely has more get up and go from a dead stop. I'm happy with mine.

Trucklover, I look forward to hearing your impressions when the gears are fully broken in. With all your mods (I especially noticed the cam and heads) your truck should really go now!

Kevin

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely post when I get them broke in. I haven't has the truck any faster than 55mph and it was turning 1800-1850 rpms. If I didn't have the cam and heads 4.10 probably would have worked well, but I really need better low end grunt. I am also running a 2200 stall, so it is going to be interesting how it will leave the line!!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hmmm, that's about where mine was with 265s and 3.55 gears. Now with the 285s its a little lower, about that rpm at 62. But......

I have the 5 speed which is different gearing than the auto and I would like to know if anybody has changed gears who has a 5speed. What may be a good fit for an auto may not be for the OD of the stick.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.