DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I swear by the Filter-Mag, model# RA365 for my truck-the industrial version. Well, I saved the filter from the other day when I changed the oil. I cut it open and took pics. Here are the facts: I put this on when my truck was unloaded from the car carrier transport truck with 3 miles on the truck. First oil change was at 500 miles, kept the original filter on as I had NO choice-no filter was available for the new 22mm oil threads on truck yet. Second o/c was at 1000 miles-filter was changed-I got some from dealer & still continue to use dealer Mopar filters to this day. I cut open the 1000mile oil change filter & there was 10x more stuff than these pics show. Third o/c was at 1500 miles. I did another o/c at 3000miles. Regular oil was used for the first 3 o/c. At the 3000 mile change I used full synthetic & continue to do so. I do them now anywhere from as little as 3000 miles to as much as 6-7000 miles. These pics are from the filter I put on at 15,500 miles before winter-Mobil 1 0w20 oil. Truck now has 18,950 miles, so there is only 3250 miles on this filter. I CAREFULLY cut it open & kept wiping the metal shavings from hacksaw away, so as not to cross contaminate. There was NO towing or really hard use on this oil. The proof is in the pics. Enjoy

This first pic is of the side where the Filter-Mag was NOT placed. It's from directly opposite side. You can clearly see the bare metal of the inside of the filter housing/case.

A close up of same.

This is where the Filter-Mag was (on the outside of course). You can CLEARLY see the outline of each individual magnet. While this- initially- looks like there is hardly anything there, it is VERY decieving.

Even though I wiped my finger through the debris, you can still see some there if you look closely.

It never stops working, is removable & will last as long as your vehicle does---or longer. To me, IMO, it is a no-brainer !!! :IDEA: :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yup great product! They are a little expensive though. I have been using them for years. I have a magnet on each differential, transmission pan and the filter mag on my oil filters. Here is where I get mine from. The only one I have yet to do is the transfer case. I Just can't seem to find a suitable place to stick one LOL.

RA365 FilterMag $64.95 each and free UPS ground shipping.
http://www.truckengineparts.com/filter-magnets.aspx

KP

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you stick it to your diffs ??? No flat surface. Transfer case is aluminum-magnet wont stick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
inside the diffs?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How do you stick it to your diffs ??? No flat surface. Transfer case is aluminum-magnet wont stick.
The front diff has a flat area on the cover just above the fill hole. The rear one it will stick to the cover but you are correct it is not a perfect fit. When I change my fluids in the diffs about 3000 miles from now I will be putting in some very strong magnets inside the front and rear diffs. You could just buy these if you wanted though... (GP101)

http://shopfiltermag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1

For now I just have very strong magnets attached to both diff covers and the trans pan.

IMHO Any strong magnets will work for the diffs and trans pan but the filter needs to be a FilterMag work well.

Here is the trans pan one. (TM360)

http://shopfiltermag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=12

I will figure out something for the transfer case but it may just be a magnetic drain plug if it does not have one already. I was thinking of epoxy for sticking it to the aluminium case but have not yet decided.

KP

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use rare-earth magnets from old computer hard drives on my oil filters, there is always a big puddle of silt like material, They keep your oil filter efficient longer cause that crap isn't clogging up the filter. You can get earth magnets really cheap.
Click Here for earth magnets

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I also am a fan of magnets. That was one of the appeals of the mag-hytec differential covers, the dipstick is magnetic and suspended in the fluid. However, so no one is mislead, what you are seeing is not what the magnet collected above the filter's ability. The oil enters the filter along the outside and then flows through the filter media into the center of the filter and returns to the engine. As a result the magnets are a pre-filter. They obviously extend the filter life as not everything goes throughout the filter, but if the magnets were not there, at least some of that would have been filtered out by the filter. How much is obviously dependent on the quality of the filter. If there is any filter that would catch it all is a debate within itself.

Never-the-less, magnets at least insure you are doing all that you can to keep the oil clean, but the filter would have caught at least some of that. Just for info...no criticism.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also am a fan of magnets. That was one of the appeals of the mag-hytec differential covers, the dipstick is magnetic and suspended in the fluid. However, so no one is mislead, what you are seeing is not what the magnet collected above the filter's ability. The oil enters the filter along the outside and then flows through the filter media into the center of the filter and returns to the engine. As a result the magnets are a pre-filter. They obviously extend the filter life as not everything goes throughout the filter, but if the magnets were not there, at least some of that would have been filtered out by the filter. How much is obviously dependent on the quality of the filter. If there is any filter that would catch it all is a debate within itself.

Never-the-less, magnets at least insure you are doing all that you can to keep the oil clean, but the filter would have caught at least some of that. Just for info...no criticism.
Not really. Filters only filter down to about 25 microns. Some go down as low as 15 microns but I would not use them. Much less than that and you start reducing the oil flow, depending on what the filter media is made from. Thats the beauty of the Filter-Mag RA365, it has 600lbs of pull, which is enough to attract & HOLD the metal & keep it from continually circulating throughout your engine-acting like sandpaper & causing wear. The particles that do the most damage to your engine & cause the most wear, are in the 2-20 micron range, which no ordinary filter can trap. Regular magnets may have the same amount of debris on them but that debris is continually circulating through your oil & only gets attracted to it & stays put when vehicle is shut off. Regular rare earth magnets can only be had in around up to 20lbs of pull, after that, they get too big to stay put. IMO, I would NEVER put anything INSIDE my diffs. Why risk big $$$$ damage when you don't have to ??? An auto trans is different as there is a large flat surface to stick to & I know they come with one from the factory. You can get a dual filter oil bypass kit & spend $300-$600+ on it & then have to maintain it & change the filter every 15,000 miles. I'm just sayin that for $78 shipped to your door, it is one of the best bang for your buck longevity mods you can do. It installs in like 5 seconds------depending on how old you are & how long it takes you to get under truck & then get back up !!! :D

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
The factories used to put round magnets in the tranny pans and on the diff covers years ago. I know, I got a bunch of them on my tool box. :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
FYI - There is a magnet in the transmission pan (unless someone has removed it) and the filler plugs for the differential are magnetic.

TwinStick - I am not saying the oil filter magnet does not work or have benefit. Quite the contrary I use it as well. What I am saying is that what the magnet catches is not indicative of what the filter misses, because the oil goes by the magnet first before it is filtered, so the magnet is a "pre-filter" of sorts. The only reason I say this is because on another forum this was brought up and people were commenting on what the filter was not catching. One had some rather large particles (obvious engine problems on the horizon), but was caught by the magnet. It would have been filtered by any quality filter. So to say what you see is what got past the filter is not true, but undoubtedly the magnet is catching more than the filter alone would have.

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
I haven't seen this product before, but I was aware of magnets being used to catch metal pieces in fluids, but I guess I've never gave it another thought after that. I must have missed the past discussions on this in the forum, too. So you simply buy it, screw on the filter, then place this magnet on it?

I guess that's the next thing I will buy! I'll get one for the wife's truck, too.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, thats it. Takes about 5 seconds to install. But this one is strong enough to keep the metal from circulating through the engine while running. Reg magnets just attract the metal when stopped & do not keep it from circulating through your engine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The magnets are great for the iron particles. The bronze particles are another matter. Most of the bushings that wear, are made of bronze. An oil analysis such as Blackstone Labs, will give you additional info.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soft metal is of less concern to me than steel. As I have stated before, Yes, you can get the dual oil filter bypass kit, but it is $300+ without the filters. These will filter down to 1 or 2 microns, cost $34 each & have to be replaced every 15,000 miles. Very good but very expensive initially & to maintain. I'm just sayin, that for $78 shipped to my door & the 5 seconds it takes to put it on, it is by far the best bang for your buck for long term engine life. Other than using full synthetic oil & changing it regularly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Blackstone labs charges $22.50 for a FULL analysis.
The magnets are great for iron particles.
This is what $22.50 buys you, keep in mind, you do not have to sample every oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Soft metal is of less concern to me than steel. As I have stated before, Yes, you can get the dual oil filter bypass kit, but it is $300+ without the filters. These will filter down to 1 or 2 microns, cost $34 each & have to be replaced every 15,000 miles. Very good but very expensive initially & to maintain. I'm just sayin, that for $78 shipped to my door & the 5 seconds it takes to put it on, it is by far the best bang for your buck for long term engine life. Other than using full synthetic oil & changing it regularly.
I agree 100% as the scuffing of 8 sets of cast steel piston rings on the 8 cast iron cylinder walls will generate the bulk of metal contaminants in your oil. The metal and carbon contaminants in your oil is by far the largest cause of soft metal or bearing wear. The carbon is large (irregular shaped) enough to be caught by the OEM filter in most cases. The metal however is fine enough to allow some of it to circulate continuously through the oil. Capturing even the smallest particles of iron metal will promote longer engine life.

On a newer generation diesel yes I would still use the magnet but first would put on a bypss filter for the carbon issues created by the EGR system. The carbon and ultra low sulfer fuel combine to just about negate any advantages in long life the diesel once had over a gas motor.

Like this one...
http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/

KP

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
I agree 100% as the scuffing of 8 sets of cast steel piston rings on the 8 cast iron cylinder walls will generate the bulk of metal contaminants in your oil. The metal and carbon contaminants in your oil is by far the largest cause of soft metal or bearing wear. The carbon is large (irregular shaped) enough to be caught by the OEM filter in most cases. The metal however is fine enough to allow some of it to circulate continuously through the oil. Capturing even the smallest particles of iron metal will promote longer engine life.

On a newer generation diesel yes I would still use the magnet but first would put on a bypss filter for the carbon issues created by the EGR system. The carbon and ultra low sulfer fuel combine to just about negate any advantages in long life the diesel once had over a gas motor.

Like this one...
http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/

KP
They actually drove it 1,000,000 miles without an oil change with the bypass filter? How easy is that to install for the Hemi?

Also, that report pic shown by 2010LaramieCrew looks like a cereal box nutrition guide. I'm not sure what to look for in the report, what's normal, or the 'overage' amounts of chemicals and metals. Do they provide a guide with the analysis?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They actually drove it 1,000,000 miles without an oil change with the bypass filter? How easy is that to install for the Hemi?

Also, that report pic shown by 2010LaramieCrew looks like a cereal box nutrition guide. I'm not sure what to look for in the report, what's normal, or the 'overage' amounts of chemicals and metals. Do they provide a guide with the analysis?
The analysis gives normal reading for your region in the printout. Testing when you suspect a problem is a good idea. By the same token having a known good reading without a problem is necessary to be able to objectively compare the readings.

I thought it was over 100,000 miles and no oil changes with just make up oil. Might be way more now I will have do do some reading to be sure. Eventually conventional oil will break down unless it is synthetic. I think you will never see the need for this system on a modern gas engine. Yes I see the new report at 1,000,000 miles and only one oil change. This is extreme for even an old school diesel. I would not attempt that mileage with a newer EGR equipped motor at all. But a 1990 motor no problem. I have not visited the site since my enlisted days so I did not know how far they pushed their test lol.

The contaminants deposited in the oil in a modern diesel engine will require better filtration if you expect the longevity of a traditional old school diesel. besides a modern HD diesel can take between 38 and 50 quarts of oil. This is the real motivator especially since most EGR diesels require synthetic oil now. At 38 quarts x $6.00 you can see the savings! $228 without a filter or labor done every 3000 to 6000 miles can really add up.

What you get is a filter adapter that allows a metered amount of oil to flow to the bypass filter for extreme filtration while the bulk of the oil is filtered and cycled normally. I would not spend the money or time on a modern gas engine unless Obama makes oil changes $150 or more in environmental fees. IMHO a oil change every 3000 mile is just fine if using a FilterMag product. Anything more for a 7 quart oil change in a gas motor is good money chasing bad IMHO.

KP

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
The analysis gives normal reading for your region in the printout. Testing when you suspect a problem is a good idea. By the same token having a known good reading without a problem is necessary to be able to objectively compare the readings.

I thought it was over 100,000 miles and no oil changes with just make up oil. Might be way more now I will have do do some reading to be sure. Eventually conventional oil will break down unless it is synthetic. I think you will never see the need for this system on a modern gas engine. Yes I see the new report at 1,000,000 miles and only one oil change. This is extreme for even an old school diesel. I would not attempt that mileage with a newer EGR equipped motor at all. But a 1990 motor no problem. I have not visited the site since my enlisted days so I did not know how far they pushed their test lol.

The contaminants deposited in the oil in a modern diesel engine will require better filtration if you expect the longevity of a traditional old school diesel. besides a modern HD diesel can take between 38 and 50 quarts of oil. This is the real motivator especially since most EGR diesels require synthetic oil now. At 38 quarts x $6.00 you can see the savings! $228 without a filter or labor done every 3000 to 6000 miles can really add up.

What you get is a filter adapter that allows a metered amount of oil to flow to the bypass filter for extreme filtration while the bulk of the oil is filtered and cycled normally. I would not spend the money or time on a modern gas engine unless Obama makes oil changes $150 or more in environmental fees. IMHO a oil change every 3000 mile is just fine if using a FilterMag product. Anything more for a 7 quart oil change in a gas motor is good money chasing bad IMHO.

KP
I had to double check that link to make sure it said 1,000,000, and it did!

Also, points well taken. Thanks. I'll just order that MagnaFilter and go from there. I use Mobile1 5W20, but I will still change it every 3k to 4k miles, since that's when I rotate my tires at the same time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That GCF system looks good if you have a diesel engine. Does not seem worth the cost to me. Have to change that big filter every 10,000 miles. Maybe someone else will be the test pilot on that ??? Cost is the big factor. Most would wonder why put that on & plumb it in, then have more hoses & fittings to leak or fail & the high maintainence of 10,000 mile filter changes (& those big filters can't be cheap), when you can just drain the oil every _xxxx_ # of miles & be done with it. I think Amsoil stopped selling thier dual filter bypass ststem. IDK for sure, but I am sure that they sold less oil for every one of the bypass systems they sold, because they do work excellent, they just sell more filters. I'd like to find a more economical dual filter system, that did'nt use $35+ filters. Like you said, when Obama makes an oil change for a car $150, I will be looking into one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts