DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously... anytime I fill up the D.... when the tank is almost full...

Gas literally sprays back out of the tank. Full FORCE!

It covers the D, my shoes, my hands, the nozzle, the pump (yup, the pump 3ft away)

I would guess it's about 1/4 gal. (I know you all think I'm nuts, but seriously it's a lot of gas)

The loss of gas is one thing... the fire/explosion factor is another. :VHOT::drivingz::flamer::VHOT:

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine does that I just wait until its almost full and stop it and fill slow.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
at the dealer we been replacing tanks cud of this whats happing is ur tank is not venting fast enuf and its burping out the fuel. im actualy putting a new tank on my truck friday for the same reason..

·
Alcohol Aficionado
283 Posts
Ugh, I have been planning on posting about this but wanted to try a few more things first. I've had this happen the last 3 fill ups but they were all at the same 7-11. I tried different pumps and I was going to try a different station next fill up. Guess I need to just head back to the dealership.

Is there a TSB out on this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sucks I'm not under warranty any more.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
hey dg2sfsd u sre ur outta warranty cuz i can see if a tank cud be coverd under the powertrain. i know its odd but i just looked up something for another guy and it was covered buy the 7/70. that gose for anyone else to i can look up warantey and give u a build sheet at the same time all i need is a email and last 8 of the vin.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
found no tsb but however did find a chrysler star case

Case Number K10184398
Vehicle Issue Fuel kick back at nozzle: Fuel control valve;Prior to replacing parts, please review the explanation below in the recommendation field.
System or Component Fuel Fill;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously
Recommendation Check for a stuck open fuel control valve and or a stuck open fuel inlet check valve , Replace parts as needed (fuel tank). Insure when reinstalling the fuel tank the fuel vent recirculation hose is not bent , kinked or blocked off in any way.

Modification Date 12/16/04 11:45 AM

·
Alcohol Aficionado
283 Posts
Thanks for that offer, very cool of you.

I'll most likely be sending you that email soon.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
kk just pm me the stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey dg2sfsd u sre ur outta warranty cuz i can see if a tank cud be coverd under the powertrain. i know its odd but i just looked up something for another guy and it was covered buy the 7/70. that gose for anyone else to i can look up warantey and give u a build sheet at the same time all i need is a email and last 8 of the vin.
Hemidogg... i just sent you a pm with the vin...

Would love to know if it's covered.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
it has happened to b4 like 4-6 times. at different fill up places. i should have looked at the nozzles when it did it. i am thinking that the burps are from different sizes nozzles. or a restriction on those rubber things on the nozzles that don't let air by pass. it sucks when you are 45 mins from ur destination and 4 hrs from home. stinks!!!:crazy:

·
Registered
190 Posts
i'm the 3rd owner so the 7/70 is no good

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
7/70 gose for all owners

·
Registered
190 Posts
Really Chrysler told me I wasn't covered by the 7/70. hmmmmm

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
Really Chrysler told me I wasn't covered by the 7/70. hmmmmm

like i said b4 pm me ur last 8 of ur vin and email and ill look up ur warentey for you.

·
Alcohol Aficionado
283 Posts
Fun-fact: I stopped at Sunoco on my way home this morning. Had 1/8th of a tank and I locked the pump handle and stepped back. No spray. 7-11's pumps belched out precious fossil fuel 3/3 times, Sunoco is 0/1. More scientific testing to come before I have my tank replaced.

·
The Musical Enforcer
793 Posts
Never had that happen thank goodness!

·
S.M.I.L.E
597 Posts
Seriously... anytime I fill up the D.... when the tank is almost full...

Gas literally sprays back out of the tank. Full FORCE!

It covers the D, my shoes, my hands, the nozzle, the pump (yup, the pump 3ft away)

I would guess it's about 1/4 gal. (I know you all think I'm nuts, but seriously it's a lot of gas)

The loss of gas is one thing... the fire/explosion factor is another. :VHOT::drivingz::flamer::VHOT:

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Has this started happening recently or has this been happening since you got your D? My concern is if this happens because of something that wears down/ tears over time or if this is something that's defective on a few Durangos.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I've never had it happen.. mind you they took the locks off most the pumps up here... (I shove my cell phone case in there sideways :p ) they want you to stand there and hold it... sometimes I hear it about to "pop" and turn it off myself, wait a second for it to bubble, then round up to next $.

I think it could be an issue with the pumps and the nossle not cutting out as early as it should.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This has happened to me nearly every time. After the first time I try to listen for the guggling and then slow down the fill speed, but I have had limited success with that approach too. Maybe I will do a little investigating on my own to see if I can determine the problem(s) as was listed in the above Case Number K10184398. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.