DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased our first new fifth wheel travel trailer, of course we gave the dealer the information on the truck before buying, he said we were at the max on the trailer weight, but addiing air bags and we should be fine. Dry weight on the trailer is 10820, we pulled it 150+ miles home from the dealer, the truck handled it fine except for the hills, we also purchased a Diablo I3 engine tuner to help with some more torque, asking opinions on the weight of the trailer and the hauling. This is a QCSB ST.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is more information needed. Is the truck 4 door, long or short bed. What axle ratio do you have? I will give you an answer based on the typical numbers. 4 doors. 6.5 foot bed 4.10 axle ratio 4 people in truck plus fifth wheel hitch, your truck weight is approximately 6900 lbs. The truck described is maximum gross 8800 lbs minus 6900 lbs leaves 1900 lbs for tongue weight in bed. Your trailer described is 10820 dry which means NO stuff inside at all, add 40% to that and you have gross loaded trailer weight of 15,100 lbs ish. If the truck already weights 6900 lbs and its maximum combined weight rating is 17,000 lbs then 17000 - 6900 = 10,100 lbs trailer weight. Sounds good right oh wait the empty trailer weights 10,820 lbs and you haven't put any stuff in it yet. Also you only have a maximum 1900 lbs in the bed from the trailer so the tongue weight is typically 20% of the 5th wheel trailer therefor tongue weight is 2164 lbs empty and possibly 3010 lbs fully loaded you are over maximum gross weight rating either way. Yes the truck will tow it, but legally your over weight. The trailer salesman never gave you any of this info i'm sure he just wants to sell campers. The biggest lie is adding air bags doesn't change the ratings of the tow vehicle. Sorry!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, after reading more and talking to more people I finally got the message we are pulling too big a rig, will work on getting a better pulling vehicle! Thanks for the detailed information, I thought I done my homework on most of the numbers before we bought, but allowed myself to trust the guys that sell and pull these rigs all the time, bad decision I know now. I will pull it with bare essentials for now, no big trips till we get a larger pulling truck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts