DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 ram 50. 2.0 motor. I have a constant high idle. This has only been going on since my accelerator cable came disconnected from the pedal. It's now reconnected with a zip tie(temp fix) to the pedal. I dont know how the cable was attached to the pedal before it was broke off so i just ran the ball on the end of the cable through the forks at the top of the pedal and tied it. Now, on the carb, if I just barely push down on the rail for the throttle, the idle goes to exactly where it needs to be. I have no idea why it wont go where it originally was. Any suggestions? The truck does not want to turn off when I cut the ignition and will sit there and almost sounds like a diesel truck trying to idle for about 15 seconds after i turn it off so apparently its getting too much gas somehow. :help:

The other thing, I added some slick 50 high mileage automatic transmission treatment, and ever since my trans has been slipping and studdering like crazy. Could this possibly be from a clogged transmission filter?

·
Troubleshooter
1,516 Posts
servicing a trans that has not been serviced regularly is the worst thing you can do to a trans, I've seldom seen good things from this. As for the too much fuel, could be a bad carb in general

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dakotah18 said:
servicing a trans that has not been serviced regularly is the worst thing you can do to a trans, I've seldom seen good things from this. As for the too much fuel, could be a bad carb in general
I agree to a point. If the fluid isn't burnt and the trans is working properly. I would say change it. If you can drain the converter do that also. A service may extend the life of your tranny. I worked for a tranny shop in the early 70s, and what Dakotah18 says is true in most cases if the tranny is slipping, or not shifting correctly. But I have to say, I bought a 76 Dodge police car, at an auction that the State said the tranny was gone. I towed it home drained the tranny & converter, & changed the filter. The fluid was BLACK. It would not go into gear. After changing out the fluid I started it up and it started working. I ran it 50,000+ miles on that tranny. ONLY A DODGE 727 Torqueflite would do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.