DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a squeal under my hood that refuses to go away.I have replaced belt tensioner,idler pulley,a/c compressor,power steerin pump pulley,tried 4 different belts,sprayed belt dressing on it,would stop for a few seconds when I rubbed a bar of soap on it but came right back,its not as bad when it shifts into overdrive,but when motor is under a load its pretty bad,only thing I have not changed is the water pump pulley and dont know how to get it off.
Any ideas because I am exhausted?:crazy:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
some of the water pump pulleys are pressed on if i remember corectly,,
is the water pump pully hittin the waterpump have seen that happen badbearing on pump

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Well something could be bent and not aligning upright did you clean every pulley when belt was off?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My 99 has always had this bad squeal when its cold or wet outside. Even with the other motor in there it did it. Could never figure out where its coming from so I try to ignore it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn`t clean the pulleys,the pulley on the water pump has a threaded male end on it where my stock fan was,removed it to put on e-fans.Water pump only has about 5000 miles on it but I know that means nothing,its bout the only thing left to change.The other motor squealed too,thought it was harmonic balancer then crank broke,had same water pump on it though,just gettin tired of throwing parts at it.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
...just gettin tired of throwing parts at it.Thanks guys.
Try diagnosing the problem, lots cheaper...get a stethoscope (definitely cheaper than all the GOOD parts you replaced already) and figure out EXACTLY where the noise is coming from:ugh

Zach571

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
next time you have the belt off, run the water pump through the motions. shake it, spin it, listen for noise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know if it will help any because I haven't had the truck but for one year, but on Corvettes, C5's to be more specific, the harmonic balancer chirps. Have you looked at your harmonic blancer?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it stops when you rub the soap on it, sounds like you have a belt problem. What belts have you tried?

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Alternator bearing? Did you try to take some of the tension off the belt while it's running? You might be able to pin point it that way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just put a new alternator on it cause mine went out,have used Gates AND Carquest belts.It got really bad when i sprayed the dressing on it but got better as I went down the road.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
have you checked the idling voltage while the E-fans are running?

·
Registered
462 Posts
My guess would be the AC pulley.
Mine went a couple years back, but made such an obnoxious squeal that it was easy to tell where it was coming from.
Rather than pony up $400 for a new unit, I just got a shorter belt and took it out of the pulley system, I can easily live without AC.
Of course, you wouldn't want to replace it on a hunch, but you should be able to isolate it, maybe have someone rev it up a bit while you hunch over the hood and try to locate the problem area.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Ear muffs can fix it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or a louder radio!LOL Doesn`t seem to be as bad if motor is under load,gets bad when you let off the gas and take the pressure off the belt,I`ll find it eventually.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
maybe your overworking your alternator?

·
audio is my game
2,853 Posts
what about the crank pulley being out of alignment?and it pulls the belt one rib over and causes it to squeal? the thing i noticed is it will pop on and off the last rib so you will have to watch it closely. but it sounds like the same problem. it will squeal and echo through everything else so its next to impossible to figure out

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
what about the crank pulley being out of alignment?and it pulls the belt one rib over and causes it to squeal? the thing i noticed is it will pop on and off the last rib so you will have to watch it closely. but it sounds like the same problem. it will squeal and echo through everything else so its next to impossible to figure out
what would cause the crank pulley to stay out of alignment?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.