DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 DURANGO with 5.9L, It feels like the trans slips on occation, the problem is it only seems to happen when im running the AIR conditioning, I did check the Trans fluid and its normal any ideas what might be causing this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
First off...you need to complete signature. Is your D a 4X4? How many miles on the tranny? Without getting more info from you, I would say it sounds like torque converter is going out. Mine started slipping at 75,000, finally there was no 2nd...I replaced the tranny and torque converter, extended warranty!

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
Hopefully yours is just your TPS sensor. Mine was doing the same thing. Either swap it out (NAPA carries em) or take some carb cleaner and a tooth brush. Hope that helps

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Are you talking about starting off from a light with the AC on? What you feel errrr hear is the roar from the stocfk fan as the clutch locks up from the additional heat. The trans is not slipping. The fan roar is normal and just makes it sound like the engine is reving and not going anywhere.

A little better description of eaxctly when and how it occurs. As you see from how you discribed it, you are going to get a lot of stabs in the dark.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
If it feel like your trans slips into neutral then back into gear or downshifts and upshifts by itself it's your TPS. 2 torx screws. sits on the side of your TB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem occurs when im sitting at a stop light when i step on the gas, that is when i feel the problem. I can hear the RPMS come up but im not moving then all of a sudden the trans grabs, i hear it thud .

Neil F. I know the sound yoy re talking about that not the sound that Im talkonh about, But thanks at least now I know that roar is normal sound,

Where is the location of the TPS what is the TB?

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
here ya go

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rock

Thanks for the pics that will help alot, do i ask for a TPS sensor or is the there a proper name for the part. Also is is this part availible at any parts store whats the price of it.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
I picked mine up from NAPA. I believe it was around $40. Throttle position sensor. They'll know.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
rockadaous said:
I picked mine up from NAPA. I believe it was around $40. Throttle position sensor. They'll know.
:gr_patrio No NAPA's over here, mine was $119 through a Chrysler dealer.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
No check engine light

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Does this happen only upon startup or after you have been driving a while?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.