DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m a first time van owner with a 1991 B250 camper van and I noticed there was a phantom draw that was draining the battery when the vehicle was off. I was able to find out by pulling the relay for the ignition lamp time delay where the draw was coming from but now I have no idea how to fix the problem. I think I’ll need a wiring diagram to figure out what I’m even looking at down there. Is there a way to tell if it’s just the relay that needs replacing or if the problem is in the wiring? Overall, just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
89 B350 360cid 15 Passenger
68 Posts
I hope you find answers !
My 89 B350 is/was doing the same thing - Ignition Lamp staying ON & the indicator lamp (headlight icon) above the headlight switch staying ON - both stayed ON all the time.

All i did about it for now is i keep one end of the fuse pulled out (same fuse for the radio and interior lights). When i need the radio or interior lights i just touch the fuse back down.
I don't use the van on a daily basis so it hasn't been too big of a deal .... yet... so long as i remember to pull the end of the fuse back up after driving it.
It will drain the battery enough to need a jump start after a few days or so if i forget it.

Like i said - have not investigated yet. Frying bigger fish
In the grand scheme of things - i don't need either one of those little lights to work at all.
So there's always the option of just killing them by whatever means deemed necessary.
Maybe i just need to find that relay you are talking about, and delete it.

i suppose they are supposed to work only momentarily by activation of the door jamb switch when driver side door opens.

Could you post a picture of that relay ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the relay .
The first one i grabbed onto was the right one.
Unplugged it and the 2 lights went out - so i'm calling mine fixed.
Can leave my radio fuse in all the time now ,,, good deal.

Doubt you have any wiring issues, just a bad relay that has stopped switching.
No part number on mine - and i doubt anyone carries them aftermarket.
You could start googling & eBay searching "chrysler relays" until you find one that looks the same - if you have to have one.

Might try smacking mine on the table a couple times and see if it wants to work again.

The 4 tabs can be bent back and the relay would come apart - it looks like ,
- if you felt like having a go with it on the inside

·
Registered
68 Posts
Smacked my relay a few times - and it still kept the little lights On.
Smacked it some more - and it stopped doing anything.
So the relay was most likely the problem.

i should be able to run a jumper wire on a couple of the plug terminals and get the headlight indicator icon to light up when the headlights/parking lights are on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On a whim ,,,
checked RockAuto - and they DO have that Relay.
So if you want a new one, they have them.
$12.56
Accessory Delay Relay
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS (brand) - part number RY300

They also show the OEM / Mopar part number to have been 2889565
Cross-referenced that via Dodge parts listing and it is correct (but discontinued / NLA)
Some could be listed on eBay (nos mopar)

OReilly's or AdvanceAuto or AutoZone might carry the Standard RY300

1 - 5 of 5 Posts