DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I asked this in another thread, but I guess it got burried and no one saw it.

Last week my check engine light came on and got code P1491 (I think that is what it was off the top of my head). Anyway, it is for the fan relay circuit. I went to the dealer and they quoted me $500-$600 in parts and labor to replace the fan, shroud, and flash the computer when they were done. Apparently they had gotten some paperwork saying that it all had to be done because there was a known problem.

I just looked, and my fuse is blown for that relay, I don't have a spare with me to find out if just replacing the fuse is going to do it or if something else went wrong before the fuse blew.

What does it take for Chrysler to issue a recall on something like this? If I go in and complain loud and long enough will it do me any good for them to be responsible for the repair since it is a known issue?

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
What year is your truck? Engine size?

Early gen3 had a problem with that fan relay fuse. It's actually the ac condensor fan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, it is 2002 with a 5.9 liter. And right, the dealer told me it was the fan for the AC, but that it all really needed to be replaced. Apparently it would overheat or some crap and the relay would burn out.

So, if they KNOW it is a design flaw, shouldn't THEY pay to fix it?

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
It would be nice, but so far I haven't heard of them paying for it. Either way, you could buy a lifetimes worth of relays for the cost of the fix. Go buy 2 or 3 and keep them in the truck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to sound like a retard, but I really do NOTHING when it comes to vehicle maintenance. I found the blown fuse, and am going to replace it, but where exactly is the relay? And is it something I can find at Autozone or is it a Mopar part only?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Spudz,
You may buy some time by changing the fuse (your relay is probably fine). But you will be replacing the condedser fan motor sooner rather than later.
I changed my fuse and it lasted almost a year to the week before the motor finally went out.
HTH
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.