DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I secure the water pump pully to remove the fan and clutch? When I try to turn it, either the pully slips on the belt, or it cranks the engine. Is there a special tool or trick for this?

Thanks.

2000 durango (4.7L)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hit the wrench with a hammer. The impact should knock it loose also place a bar or screwdriver between the water pump pulley bolts to prevent the pulley from rotating

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There is a special tool that you can borrow from Autozone to remove the fan clutch. The tool looks like a very wide wrench and it fits over the bolts on the pully to hold the pully still as you loosen the big bolt. If you don't have an autozone nearby, the tool usually costs about $20.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i did this job just this week on the 4.7.i also had the clutch go bad. get a bolt that fits inside the blank holes on the pulley for the water pump.next you'll need a large screwdrriver wedge it between the bolt and the pump shaft.at htis point a friend could come in handy. next put a wrench on the clutch nut. i used a ford wrench.but an adjustable will do.break loose while you keep tension on the screw driver. the fan to clutch bolts are 13mm. if all go well like mine did you should be done in about 20 min.if you run into trouble pep boys will replace it for 51 dollars.hope this helps

·
Banned
82 Posts
i have used a strap wrech to hold the flange. Worked for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I baught a strap wrench for that purpose but ended up not needing it. I got the old fan off by wedging box wrench between the pully and belt. That put enough tension on the pully to break the nut free. Thanks for all the advice!

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Good job improvising! Now if they gave you a good replacement..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.