DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went hunting we had 36 inches of powder on the roads, i was breaking trail for about 5 miles when my truck went silent. it was still runnung, but i lost power steering alternator and i guess water pump as well.

i popped the hood an thought belt fell off but it was just slipping, i kept having to stop evry 5 miles than 2 miles than 500yds to let sno melt.

i have no skid plate and the fan shroud is removed since i installed efan.

do i need a new belt, skid plate or both.

wasn't a good feeling being 100miles from town waiting for aternator guage to climb back up.

should a new belt hold up to all that snow being thrown up by front ifs crossmember.

regardless i am replacing the belt, should this fix it? or do i need a plate there.
thanks

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Belts arent designed to work with snow packed in them, so I'd HIGHLY doubt a new one will help anything. I'd try to find a way to prevent the snow from getting to the belt...skid plate might work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My chevy friend got some 1/4" rubber sheeting, washers, and self-tapping screws to fashion his own custom "skid-plate" to stop this very problem. It worked well once he made all of the neccessary cuts with the utility knife and got everything stuffed away. It was crude but it kept snow out of the belt.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

·
Registered Abuser
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im getting new belt and replacing old one so i have a spare, but ye i was thinking of fabbing up somthing to keep snow out. but think it needs to be stonger than rubber to withstand impact, when busting hard pack,wet snow or snowbanks. cuz right now i bust a snowbak with no issues as crossmemnber takes the hit.

The belt got wet when ive driven a cross rivers and never had it slip before. would off-roaders have the same issue?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You may need a new tensioner pulley...sound like yours is getting weak.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Its not a problem with anything except the snow getting behind the belt, I had the belt come off one time when I was punching through drifts

·
Registered Abuser
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new fan belt on, now no slipping. still breaking trail trail in 3ft with no issues, plus now i have old belt as a spare.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gotta love that snow! I'm happy to hear you guys are getting snow, I have a snowmobile trip up there planned for mid Jan! WooHoo! :cool:

·
Registered Abuser
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probably not up here

if you are in NY your are probably going somewhere near Ottawa like Calabaogie or Pakenham. i think they got snow too but it gets warms there and some always melts. When we get snow here it stays till april

Im in north west Ontario, 250 miles north of Duluth MN, on lake superior.
like 900 miles from where you are going.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would still get a skid plate just for the added security, then you can go balls to the wall:)

·
Registered Abuser
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stealership wants 165 plus taxes for the plates with hardware, but i d like a used one, cuz it will look used after 100 miles on my rig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.