DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: www.bettercarcare.com Here's what they say; just because it states "micro-fibre" that says nothing about what it's made from . Most of the JUNK sold at Walmart is from Asia and you better check it before you go to work.
Method #1: Rub a CD hard with it -if it scratches don't use it.
Method #2: Take a single string from the cloth and put a match to it. If it emits a wisp of black smoke and shrivels intop a ball, it's polyester so throw it away.
Just passin' that on.
P.S. There isn't a single thing wrong with cotton. Insisting on this new micro fibre craze is like insisting on bottled water.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Micro-fiber can be made out of any material. Polyester is fine, just not very absorbant. Micro-fiber refers to the way the material is assembled. Tiny strands of fiber that are built into a triangly pattern thingy, then threaded together to form the cloth.

The problem is the material its made from. Cheaper cloths just have a higher polyester thread count and arent as thick. The solution is to not buy cheap cloths. The other thing to remember is that no matter how cheap the microfiber, cotton will scratch more. The best is and will be chamois.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since when does cotton scratch-prior to the craze everyone used cotton

·
Banned
2,409 Posts
I use the Don aslett microfiber clothes on my truck windows. I spray the windows with just water and wipe them down with the microfiber cloth and I never have streeks on my windows. It definitely works better for me than just an ordinary wash cloth or paper towels. I always hates having that haze on my windows they left behind.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, again I don't think it's due to the paper towel as people have been cleaning windows for one hundred years. Using any glass cleaner wipe your inside window left -to-right only. When you think your'e done, do the outside window up and down only. Now when the sun is right you should be able to see which side of the window needs additional work. I use Autoglym or Windex and you can hardly believe there is glass there when I'm done............using paper towels. Don't be afraid to throw away the towels as soon as they pick up a little dirt.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1500quad said:
Try cloth diapers, if it's soft enough for a baby's ass then it's soft enough for your paint.
Amen to common sense. And there's not much space age technology associated with a baby's butt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tip: Once you've cleaned your windows as clean as you possibly can, rub them down firmly with a good old fashioned chalk-board eraser. You'll initially feel some resistance, which is any remaining residue, then it will start to glide easily. Now you know you've got a really clean window.

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
what's the big deal with micro fiber?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's a huge deal. I use Meguiars quick detailer after every touchless wash, and used to have to do it in the shade. A microfiber cloth enables me to detail it in the sun (found this out accidentally) when the paint is quite warm (black rig) because the microfiber will buff out the dried detailer like no other cloth or terry would on a warm/hot surface. I started to use them 4 weeks ago and I won't go back.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I tried using the baby's diapers on my windows and now they're brown and I can't see a thing!! What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
562 Posts
fmdog44 said:
Well I tried using the baby's diapers on my windows and now they're brown and I can't see a thing!! What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny Use them b4 the baby does!!!! :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cloth diapers are GREAT! My son (he's 20) and his friends thought microfibre was pretty cool then one day they told me about their "new" discovery, that's right cloth diapers.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
My wife showed me the newspapers for windows years ago. Works great. Yes it does sound weird, but I haven't had streaks for years. I wouldn't use it on your paint though. :) For that I use that new Mr. Clean auto dry thing. It filters out the small deposits in the water, so it dries spotless. I had a black '04 ram before my current Grey one, and I could was it mid summer, at high noon, without spots. It isn't the cheapest method, but it does work. %100 no scratches though, because nothing actually rubs the paint. Well your sponge does, when you're washing it, but we're talking about drying right? If not then you can all just ignore me, because it's a little late in the evening for intelligent thoughts.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Newspapers-your'e right go way and they work fine. A cheap home brew glass cleaner is 1/3 isoprolyl alcohol 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 distilled water.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday I applied Liquid Glass to my truck and used BOTH cotton cloth and micro fibre cloth to after the applications hazed to dry. The ONLY difference was the microfibre required more elbow grease to remove the cleaner as well as the wax, maybe 30-40 % more. This is probably due to the difference in the weaving (guess).
Anyhow, the Liquid Glass was very easy to apply an remove, especially to remove.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
I wash my outside in the shade then completly spray it off then pull it in the garage and shami it off. Then i do my wheel and tires. Then i use detail spray on my paint and wipe it off with microfiber cloth. Looks like it was just waxed again. By that time the wheels are dry from the wheel spray. Microfiber is awesome!!

BB

·
Registered
244 Posts
fmdog44 said:
P.S. There isn't a single thing wrong with cotton. Insisting on this new micro fibre craze is like insisting on bottled water.

Tell that to a Black truck owner .... Yes it indeed is different ....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.