DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DJ
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't beleive that I just failed Virginia inspection.

The technician stated that I have a bad wheel bearing and loose inner tie rod on the front passenger side. Reading the posts I see that these are somewhat common problems and maybe I should expect that these would fail. It just ticks me off that in a 3 minute inspection they can determine this. Oh and they would be happy to fix it for me for a total cost of just shy of $500.

Question, should I replace the bearing and both inner and outer tie rods at the same time? And if I do the one side should I just bite the bullet and do the other side at the same time?

I take it that these are not difficult jobs (i will replace pads and rotors at the same time since they are just about due).

BTW I have a 2000 2wheel drive lightly driven with just shy of 80K

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
ahhh the beauty of having the inspection shop at the same place that is allowed to fix them...

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
If you are not convinced, get a second opinion. The tie rod should show you some uneven tire wear though....do you have visual indicators?

·
DJ
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No visual tire wear which you might expect. However, I did go ahead and swap out the wheel bearing and the inner and outer tie rods today. The bearing may have actually been going bad even though I had no visual or audible signs. If the bearing is supposed to be sealed I think that it broke that seal as grease was all over the lock nut which wasn't the case on the other side.

Anyway, the job really didn't take that long and since I had the wheel and rotor off I went ahead and changed the pads and rotors as well even though I still had a few miles left. All in all the job took me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Not real difficult except that I ended up running back and forth to the auto parts store to get tools.

BTW the spindle lock nut is 35mm. It took two trips to the store to figure this out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.