DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am a new owner of a 1999 Intrepid ES...everything was fine, until this morning....the radio hisses and crackles...and when something does come thru..its all on the passengers side...radio or cd...no sound on the drivers, except for the odd popping sound coming from the back...there are no Infinity labels so I am assuming its the am/fm/cd unit with the 3 band equilizer.
IS this a sign of a shot HU?? Or do I need to look other places?

Ice Cold

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes it could be the head unit but it sounds to me like you have a huge grounding problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i am going to have to find a electrical shematic for the audio and trace the ground?
Now you mention it, it could be...the hum noise was the same as on one of my other trucks with a after market installed..did not mater what the volume control was set at..the sound was always the same volume....now to find a diagram and how to pull the deck......great way to spend a day off...
Thanks for the responce crash459

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay...how does the console come apart????
I assume I have to remove the shifter handle, then that piece of the console, then the part around the head unit??
I have a feeling the ground strp on the back of the unit is not installed right.
Is this the correct way to remove the panels?? or can the one around the head unit come off by its self??

·
Registered
649 Posts
First remove the bezel around the shift handle......then just pull back the bezel that surrounds the radio....it should come right off. Then unscrew the radio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled everything..tested head unit all appears fine...could it be the "amp"...and can the stock unit runn without the amp?? Or am I looking at replacing the HU? and then how do I bypass the amp harness??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.