DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a friend the other day about hardwiring my xm radio plug cause im tired of it using up my cigarette lighter. he mentioned that his dad bought like a cigarette lighter unit from ABC Auto and wired it up behind the dash.. has anyone ever heard of this or done it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine is wired that way. All bought was a cigarette lighter receptacle (female) with two lead coming off of it and soldered it, behind the dash, to the red and black connections coming out of the existing cigarette lighter. I tucked all the wires back, and put the dash back together. The end result is awesome, no exposed wires, the head unit is powered on and off by the key, and very clean. The receptacle was like $6 and the whole install was less than 30 min. I recommend this.

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is your other cig lighter operable? can you show me a pic or example of the wiring

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm confused... If you're talking about the cig lighter in the center console, I don't know...never even tried to use it. In my install, I cut back a little bit of the insulation on the wires coming out of the existing cig lighter, and spliced the new wires onto them. Red to red, Black to black. Soldered the connection, and electrical tape to cover. The existing one still works, as does the new one.

I don't have any pics at the moment to help. But if you really need some, I could probably snap some.

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i am talking about the cig lighter right next to the steering wheel.. so from what i understand you didnt cut the existing wire, just the insulation and then wrapped the wires from the new receptacle onto the existing wires and soldered.. and whala, it works?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I lied I do have pics. You can see both my soldered connections and where I tucked my wires.

You've got it right, no actual cutting, just splicing, and very much Whala...

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ty very much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.