DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am brand spankin to the Forums, I am very impressed how helpful everyone is with eachothers questions and comments. I got a 2006 QC Hemi LoneStar Edition yesterday. I have been glued to the computer trying to digest the different mods and the benefits to these, and some I just dont understand. Can I get a little clarification to set me straight, and maybe any other nublets out there?

1. There has been disscussion about 4.56 gears? Im not sure where they go and what the benefit is.

2. I have heard that Pulleys are a great way to increase power, where do they go and where can I get them?

3. I have heard a great deal about programmers and chips, I have a basic Idea of what these do, but I cant get past the trashy ebay feeling, where you see Programmer Chips for 6 dollars. It makes me nervous.

4. What is the difference REALLY of having a brand name like Gibson ehaust vs. having the shop fabricate you some? I would assume that its much cheaper going through the shop?

5. What exactly are exhaust cut outs?

6. Does anyone have any pics of their tucks leveled in the back? I have seen front leveled, just curious.

My brain hurts now... Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Welcome to DodgeTalk.....
As far as your questions...there is a search button on the top of the screen. Do a search on all the topics you want to know about you will have all kinds of good stuff to read.........

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Just an FYI to get you up to date your pulley question will get all kinds of mixed reviews....LOL. I posted one awhile back it gets crazy....some tend to go back and forth with each other........makes for a great read LOL .

·
15,912 Posts
DentonHEMI06 said:
I am brand spankin to the Forums, I am very impressed how helpful everyone is with eachothers questions and comments. I got a 2006 QC Hemi LoneStar Edition yesterday. I have been glued to the computer trying to digest the different mods and the benefits to these, and some I just dont understand. Can I get a little clarification to set me straight, and maybe any other nublets out there?

1. There has been disscussion about 4.56 gears? Im not sure where they go and what the benefit is.

2. I have heard that Pulleys are a great way to increase power, where do they go and where can I get them?

3. I have heard a great deal about programmers and chips, I have a basic Idea of what these do, but I cant get past the trashy ebay feeling, where you see Programmer Chips for 6 dollars. It makes me nervous.

4. What is the difference REALLY of having a brand name like Gibson ehaust vs. having the shop fabricate you some? I would assume that its much cheaper going through the shop?

6. Does anyone have any pics of their tucks leveled in the back? I have seen front leveled, just curious.

My brain hurts now... Thanks in advance for your help.

This is the rear end gear that turns the wheels and the gear is attached to the drive shaft. 4.56 refers to the size of the gear. You probably have either 3.55 or 3.92 gears now. The taller (larger) 4.56 will give you more low end torque for more power off the line, but will decrease the top end. You will have less gear for passing, BUT if you do a lot of racing or towing, this is a great mod. Some guys think 4.56 are great and some think it is too tall of a gear. There so much information it can almost get confusing. I suggest either the 4.10 or 4.56 gears.

Pulleys go on the engine and are used to turn the part faster. I.E. the pulley on the alternator. I am not as familiar with the pulleys, but you get the idea. More performance is what you will get.

You do not and I repeat DO NOT want to get the 6 dollar version from eBay. A Superchips or Hypertech programmer is the way to go. They will allow you to set shift points and remove the rev and speed limiters that are present in the programming.

You can go nuts with exhaust and there will be people that will recommend all of the different brands of exhaust. They all have their own pros and cons. What it comes down to is the sound you are looking to achieve and what performance level you are trying to attain. The Gibson is a lower end(IMO) exhaust system. Have a good muffler shop help you with your system. You will be happier and will spend less money in the long run. There is a new sponsor that can design a system for you. Check him out first since he is a sponsor.

They are exactly what it say. It bypasses the resonators and muffler and allows essentially "open headers". The cutout will allow the most airflow. Again, a performance mod. Not something you will want if you are not going to the track.

Do a search in the gallery. There will be hundreds to look at.

I hope this helps and I am sure that more will chime in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That deffinately spells things out much better. I am trying to figure out what the first things I need to do are. Chances are, Cold air and exhaust, but I have no idea where to go from there. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just for clarification, "pulleys" generally means it has a smaller crankshaft pulley, so all the accessories will turn slower, not faster as was stated above. The power increase comes from using less power because you're turning the accessories (alt., water pump, A/C comp., etc.) slower. Gains to be had are typically very small (i.e., 3-5 HP).

·
The Doc
302 Posts
DentonHEMI06 said:
That deffinately spells things out much better. I am trying to figure out what the first things I need to do are. Chances are, Cold air and exhaust, but I have no idea where to go from there. Thanks for your help!
As for CAI, look up AIRRAM.com. I have one and it is good. It is large (4" in dia), but it allows the HEMI to breathe deep. As far as exhaust goes, if you're thinking headers, the concensus seems to be pacesetter long tubes. If you want to start a war, then use words like back pressure and true duals suck. That will begin to get people to start posting like crazy!! :D
Mufflers, tips, etc. are kinda like underwear....its all about personal taste. That makes it somewhat difficult if you haven't heard a particular brand before. If you search, you will see that flowmaster will tend to be a little louder but give you a good rumble and magnaflow will tend to be a little more mellow. As for now, the word is stay away from the drive pulleys. Several companies produced these and they were causing toner ring breakage. When this ring breaks, bad, bad things happen (can you say rebuild??). If you let more air in and then let it back out, you will see decent gains and will be happy for now. Most folks tend to do the programmer, headers, gears and shift kit from there. Bully Dog is coming out with a programmer later this year. They are claiming more gains that what superchips or hypertech can deliver, so you may want to wait. I am part of the Beta Testing group for them, and really can't say much more, other than you might want to wait before you purchase one of the others. If you have any other questions, these guys are great, and have a wealth of knowledge.
The Doc..... :cool:

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
DentonHEMI06 said:
I am brand spankin to the Forums.......Can I get a little clarification to set me straight, and maybe any other nublets out there....
First of all, Welcome to Dodgetalk! You are in the right place for help and advice on your new rig. I see these have already been explained but Im going to hit on them as well...

The 4.56 gears work REALLY well with the 20" wheels. As stated they do provide allot more low end "get up and go". Im not sure I agree with the loss of power passing though. It has been my experience that the 4.56 actually helps there as well. The only real loss in my opinion, as stated, is top end. Another bennefit of 4.56 (and it has been proven here) is fuel mileage.

The Underdrive Pulley (Usually from ASP) replaces the stock crank pulley. It is smaller than stock so there is less load on the engine turning the accessories. many people here have done this mod and rave about it. make sure you research the issue here (searching) first because some have had issues with the pulley's design. The problem has since been corrected, and I only point this out to avoid someone possibly buying the "pre-fixed" ASP pulley from a con artist on Ebay.

As stated earlier, stay AWAY from the cheap Ebay chip / programmer solutions. In all honesty, I recommend staying away from buying ANY type of programmer USED on ebay. too many variables there. It seems the general consensus agrees that the Superchip FlashPaq (model 3815) is the way to go. A couple of our sponsors here offer it for a great price. This is probably one of the best mods for the dollar. It really wakes the HEMI up and as stated, also allows you to tweak several other settings as well.

Research Headers here on the forum. That is where the real difference will be found. Edelbrocks, Pace-setters, You name it... You will find tons of reading and discover what is best for your application. As for the remainder of the exhaust, I highly reccomend having a good exhaust shop fab you up one. I have gone this route several times and saved a ton of $$$. Hector, (Exhaust Depot) is one of our newest sponsors is awhiz with exhaust systems. I HIGHLY reccomend talking to him and checking out his thread. Found Here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124533

Exhaust Cutouts are either Manual (Unscrew the caps) or electric devices that sit behind the headers. When closed, all exhaust is routed through the exhaust system. When they are open, they bypass the exhaust system and as stated, are bassically like Uncapped Headers. Lots of our guys that hit the track often have these installed.

Take a trip to the "Sport Truck" section of 3G Ram and take a look around. OR you can consult our Suspension King and Sponsor Brian (Slammed1) and he will GLADLY assist you. I would say that over half of our members who have done suspension work have either had Brian do it, or he was involved in some way. He also sells parts for the do-it-your-selfer. AND... If you love close enough, he has been known to drive to your place and install it for you. His work is impeccable! Look him up and check it out. Anywhere he has posted, there is a piscture of a dropped Ram.

Once again, welcome aboard, and I hope you stick around! Now... Post some pictures of your new ride so we can all see it! :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Wasinger12 said:
LOL...Now I feel bad for telling him to use the search button ...LOL. Great write up man!!!!
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

Ya Big MEANIE!!! Where are your manners? :D :D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
dr.porsche said:
........... :D
Mufflers, tips, etc. are kinda like underwear....its all about personal taste...............
The Doc..... :cool:
Do you really taste your underwear?... :thatfunny

You guys had it all covered so I had nothing to add...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
UCF 2012
614 Posts
Dude just ordered AeroTurbine muffler, recommended one of the best, I think at least. Listen to some of the vids for sound.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a wealth of information just waiting for the brain to comprehend! All I need is to pass a collection plate to raise funds for my project!!! I will check on a programmer because it seems to be a great tinkering device! I have no idea how one works, but I will deal with that right after I unwrap the package.
Also, I have been on the f150 forums (I KNOW I KNOW, it was my previous method of transportation) , and it took hours and hours to get responses to the easiest of questions, props to you all. I am very impressed with your willingness to help. Now I just have to snap a picture of my truck for you all to feast your eyes on. It's stock, but its still SEXY!!!

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
AIR_RAM said:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Wow how In the hell did I miss that the first time I read it :thatfunny :thatfunny

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Dskirtech said:
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

Ya Big MEANIE!!! Where are your manners? :D :D
LOL LOL I didnt mean to.............The search buttom works great LOL. But you guys got it all covers for him......Am I off the hook now???

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you have a 4 wheel drive, You would need to change both front and back, Correct. 456's would still be good in a 4 hweel drive with 20" tires. It would just cost an arm and a leg.

·
The Doc
302 Posts
AIR_RAM said:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Only those pink, satiny panties that those 20 somethings.... :eek:

And if you keep it up I'll, I'll, oh nevermind....... :D

The Doc......in fantasyland :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.